Reuse embedded spreadsheet data

I have a word document that has a table in it that contains certain values, This table is an embedded spreadsheet. Later in the document, I would like to use this data to create a pie chart. I created the chart in the spreadsheet, but it is not displayed in the first instance of the spreadsheet. I copied the embedded link and pasted it later in the document and then changed it to show the chart. The problem is that I want the chart to update based on changes made in the table in the first instance of the spreadsheet, and the method I am using is not doing this. This seems like it should be easy, but I can't seem to figure it out or find a solution on the internet. Is this possible?

The simplest way to accomplish this is to unembed the spreadsheet and instead link it to the Word document.

1. In Excel, select the spreadsheet area and copy it.
  2. In Word, choose Home>Clipboard>Paste, clicking on the down-pointing arrowhead on the bottom of the Paste button.
  3. Click on Paste Special.
  4. Change Paste to Paste link.
  5. Set As to Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object.
  6. Click on OK.

Then repeat the same steps for the chart in your spreadsheet., but set the Paste Special As to Microsoft Excel Chart Object.

Now you can double-click on the spreadsheet, edit it, and the chart will update both in Excel and in Word.

Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", ebook now out
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Your solution will work, but I don't think it is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I falied to mention that the Word document is actually a template that could get used many times, so I was trying to keep it as self-contained as much as feasible. Unless I am mistaken, a linked file would require a separate instance of the spreadsheet for each instance of the document, along with the need to update the linking information. The ultimate goal is to transfer this to another user who is not a Word expert, so I was hoping for a fille that one could just open, make the necessary changes, and save it as a different file name leaving the original file intact.

I could just be thinking about what I am trying to accomplish incorrectly. Do you know of other ways to accomplish the same goal?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Word 2003 and earlier, you could create a chart from a Word table, but that feature is no longer available.

Have you tried inserting a chart in Word and show the user how to edit the Excel data table associated with it? The data table can contain all the same functions as an Excel spreadsheet, because that's what it is.

Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", ebook now out
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In later versions of Word, it is still possible to create a chart from a Word table.  It is done by selecting the data in the table and then on the Insert tab of the ribbon, select Object from the Object drop down in the Text section of the ribbon and then select Microsoft Graph Chart.  An Excel chart does however give more scope for customization.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Word 2003 and earlier, you could create a chart from a Word table, but that feature is no longer available.

Have you tried inserting a chart in Word and show the user how to edit the Excel data table associated with it? The data table can contain all the same functions as an Excel spreadsheet, because that's what it is.

I could, but they have already edited it once to create the original table. I was hoping to avoid the rework. Unfortunately, the design of the table is a mixture of words and numbers. In Excel I can get the numbers separated, but I am fairly sure those functions dont exist in Word, so creating the chart from a Word table will probably not work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can check this link if this could help you add the chart in the document as you would like.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Quick-Start-Add-a-chart-to-your-document-f747b4e1-055e-4917-9c18-1e8dae73ff91?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would also find this feature to be extremely useful in other contexts. Having just one xls drive all figures and tables within a single word doc would make it very easy to work on the updating data in a report without 1) having to open multiple, separate, instances of within the document, or 2) worrying about broken links when working with the document over time and across users. In addition, many of our clients want to have this data in a simple 1-up basis for their own use.

I would really like to know how to make this work or if there is another program that can do this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 256 Applies to: