Restrict editing of only the Header and Footer in Word 2007/2010

I have a Word 2007 template set up for company letterhead.  When user double-clicks to open template, it creates New Document 1.docx file. 
User then types information into document and saves to send out as attachement, convert to PDF, etc.  Only a small group of users have the password required to Restrict Editing and make changes to template itself.  

Currently, editing restrictions are set correctly, but uses can only seem to type text into document. Text is Calibri 11pt (default).  All editing options under the Home tab are disabled (greyed out bold, itaclics, font choice, etc).  I want to be able to expand their abiilty to include anything they want in Word doc, such as tables, images, etc.  In other words, I'd like to set the permissions of the document so that a user can add any type of content into the document but the only thing they cannot change is the header and footer.  

Answer
Answer
When you say "editing restrictions are set correctly", exactly what are the settings in the Restrict Editing pane?

For what you want to do, the proper setup in the template is this:
  • Insert the fixed header and footer text and logo.
  • Create the body of the template (if it isn't just an empty paragraph).
  • In the Restrict Editing pane, (a) do not check the box under "1. Formatting restrictions", (b) do check the box under "2. Editing restrictions" and leave the dropdown set to "No changes (Read only)".
  • Select the entire body of the document (Ctrl+A).
  • In the Restrict Editing pane, check the box next to Everyone under the Exceptions section. Then start enforcing protection and save the template.

Basically, the "No changes" protection is applied only to the header and footer, the only parts that weren't selected when you checked "Everyone".

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 17, 2023 Views 26,872 Applies to: