Re-installed Office 2010 in a Windows 8 Gateway Computer will not open previously created Office Documents from that same program without doing so from inside of an Open Office session.

I have a problem with Office 2010: I Re-installed it on 8/29/14 after having to restore my Gateway Windows 8 computer after Cox.net caused it to crash 2 days ago and now it won’t open .DOCX word documents- that I created before I reinstalled the program; ( this is how it now identifies all of the files I had previously created with Office 2010 before the crash)–It won't open them by simply clicking on the new type Icon that distinguishes them as .DOCX type files instead of the original extensions. A message pops up saying that I need to Install Office 2010 to open this type of file. 

The same document that it won’t open that way-opens just fine if I open Word first, (I have already reinstalled Office 2010, using the correct product code Key that came with the Office Suite-Office Professional that came with it.) and then while inside of the Word program I go to File/Open/ and drill down to where this file is saved- I click on the icon at this point a Plus 2010nd presto-it opens right up.

Is there a way to simply tweak Office 2010 that is now re-installed on my computer to see these word documents that are now identified as .DOCX XML documents, the first time I click on them or is the path previously described (have to be inside of an Office program) the only way to open them now.

Answer
Answer
You have to uninstall the pre-installed Office trial via Programs & Features before reinstalling your version of Office
Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 533 Applies to: