Problems editing documents (Word 2010)

My entre office uses a cover sheet template saved as both a .docx and a .docm. Either way, whenever we print our cover sheet, we're not able to edit it any further unless we close it completely and reopen it. Also, if we click outside of the text area before we're done, the document "freezes" and we have to close and reopen the blank template and start over. Any suggestions as to how we can continuously edit the document after printing without reopening it? We all use Office 2010 on machines running Windows 7.
Without seeing the document/template it's a bit difficult to determine what is wrong with it.

Can you post the file somewhere e.g. dropbox or onedrive so we can see it?

Note that Word is not a multi-user application. Only one user at a time can have control of a document. if all the office is using the same document, that is a recipe for trouble. Save the document as a template and create new documents from it.

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately, my office has restricted access to both dropbox and onedrive, I'm not sure why.
I discovered the document is protected in that uses can only fill out certain sections of the form, and not edit the form in it's entirety. Could that be the problem?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the document is protected for filling in forms, it is unlikely that simply by closing and re-opening the document you would be able to edit part of it that you could not edit previously.

If you want to send me a copy of the document, I will take a look at to try and determine what is going on.

However, as Graham mentioned, if multiple users will be creating such documents, it should be made available to them in the form of a template from which they would create documents by using File>New and then selecting the template as the basis of the document that they want to create, rather than by using File>Open as I assume they are now doing.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 264 Applies to: