Problem with Hidden text that includes Headings, text and tables with images, in word 2010

I am writing a manual for a client's new product, and I need to hide part of the content because this bit is still in development. They need field trial documentation for a customer who doesn't need that option.

The content I want to hide begins with a Heading at Level 2 , then some Normal style text, some level 3 headings, and a few 2-column tables with images in the left hand column, and text in the right hand column. It spans 4 pages.

I know how I should hide the text, namely to select the content that I want to hide, and then Ctrl+D to bring up the Font dialog, and then select Hidden, and click OK. This hides it just fine.

But if I want to view and edit this hidden content using Ctrl+*, all the hidden content appears, but the tables are squashed into a table on the left about one character wide per column, one character per row, and the hidden content now spans 28 pages. This is impossible to work with, and I cannot adjust the column width.

The only remedy is to select each cell of the table and Ctrl+D etc to unhide the text cell by cell. If I try to select a complete table and unhide it, it only unhides one cell.

I had hoped that I could go into Outline View at Level 2, select the heading and then just hide that, but I get the same problem.

Any idea what's going wrong? Help!

To work around this problem, make sure to set a fixed width on the table (columns) before you apply the hidden formatting.

To set a fixed width for a table, you can click inside it and click Table Tools Layout tab | AutoFit | Fixed Column Width.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2024 Views 1,912 Applies to: