Printing multiple pages per sheet in landscape in Word 2010

Here's my challenge: I have an A4 size landscape document of four pages. I am trying to print all four pages onto one sheet in landscape, I am using Word 2010 on Windows 7.  This is what I have tried so far:

1.      Go to File > Print, select “4 Pages Per Sheet” – print comes out with all four pages printed on one sheet, but the sheet is in portrait orientation which means the text has been reduced extra small with lots of white-space around the pages – no option to print page in Landscape

2.      Go to File > Print (leave settings as default) and click on Printer Properties > Finishing tab > select 4 Pages Per Sheet > select Landscape orientation – print comes out as four separate pages, one print per page. It seems that Word 2010 overrides anything set in Printer Properties

My system is a dual-boot. When I boot into Vista / Office 2007, and do the same as option 2 above (i.e. select the pages per sheet in Printer Properties not in Word) the print comes out perfectly.   What am I doing wrong in Word 2010?

I find doing it the other way round and together usually works.

Go to the File, Print, Printer Properties, set your settings as above, OK; so you are back to the Print dialog, now set the 4 Pages per sheet, OK to print.

Cross-fingers for luck :-)

DeanH

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

hey, what should i do if i'm not dealing with A4, but i still want my document to be printed in it's original quality. the thing is, i've set my document as 8x10cm, and would like to print 4 pages per A4 sheet. because i don't want to ruin 4 times more paper than i need.. and still want to keep original size i've set :)..

I find doing it the other way round and together usually works.

Go to the File, Print, Printer Properties, set your settings as above, OK; so you are back to the Print dialog, now set the 4 Pages per sheet, OK to print.

Cross-fingers for luck :-)

DeanH

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello AlenMatanovic,

As this thread is over a year old it would be best if you started a new thread so that you can get more focused help from the Word experts here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word?tab=unanswered

Thanks
Ashley
Microsoft Answers

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay eventually I figured out the answer to this problem when I re-installed Win7 - my advice, stick with the Win7 auto-installed printer drivers and don't install drivers from the HP site.

Fix (for Windows 7):

1. disconnect printer USB cord

2. remove printer device

3. plug USB cord back in and switch on the printer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The features in Word 2010 are not robust enough to address this problem. I found using Adobe PDF more helpful to print multiple pages on one page. 

Here is an example of how I printed four pages vertically on one page. 
1) I converted my Word file to Adobe PDF. The result was a PDF document with four pages.
2) In the print dialog box that appears when you select FILE -> PRINT, there is an option for page scaling. Select MULTIPLE PAGES PER SHEET for "page scaling". Under "pages per sheet," select CUSTOM and use 1 x 4 for the custom settings.

This is similar to the instructions on PDFs found at this website: http://www.stanford.edu/group/cubberley/node/3603

I hope this works for you! My problem with Word is that it predefined how the pages are arranged if you select "Print Multiple Pages on one Page." When I selected four pages per sheet, the result was that the four pages were arranged in a quadrant, instead of being lined up vertically on one page. 

Another helpful hint: Before converting my Word document to an ADOBE PDF file, my pages were already scaled to be 8.5" x 2.75." You can do this in Word under Page Setup ->Paper Size and then selecting the appropriate width and height.

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2024 Views 54,866 Applies to: