Previous Versions Tab is not showing

I just overwrote a file and closed the document. When I go back to open the document, there is no sign of the previous version even though I created the document yesterday and know that more than 10 minutes has past to create the restore point.  I have right clicked the document in the explorer and no restore previous tab. I've gone to the document in word file>info>Versions--no show up. I've right clicked the document in word open dialog box and not restore previous tab there either. Can someone share any tips for finding the original I've written over? AND, can you share with me how to look and see if I have the feature turned off?   I have Windows 8.1 and Word 2010. Many thanks.

The ten minutes you mention refer to Word's autorecover feature; it is different from Previous Versions in Windows. The feature in Word only applies when Word has crashed or when you have forgotten to save an untitled document.

What you can try is the following: In Windows Explorer, right-click your C:\ drive and select Properties. On the Previous Versions tab, see if you find a backup of C:\. You can then open it and go to your documents folder and have a look.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2024 Views 2,094 Applies to: