Jay RB
Had this question 4
Question
Jay RB asked on

Permanently display hidden text

Hello Everyone.

I know how to use the Word Options panel to display hidden text... but every time I close and reopen Word 2010, I have to reset this preference. Is there a way to indicate that I always want to display hidden text?

If there are two ways to do this (global and document specific), I would love to know both ways,

Thanks!

Jay

Rohn007
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Rohn007 replied on

OK, we are getting closer, just a matter of closing the communication gap between you and me. Not a problem. Option B had nothing to do with your problem, it is just for geeks and emergencies (you DOC is corrupted and you want to recover the body text only from it).

When you opened the NORMAL.DOTM in Word, as template, you saw exactly what you are supposed to see, a "blank" document. This is the base for every "new" document you see.

While you are in NORMAL.DOTM in edit mode, any change you make (and save when closing the document) will now appear in any NEW document you create.

So, if you modify a style, say "NORMAL" for discussion, and change the font to Times New Roman (like it used to be in 2003), then from now on all of your new documents would show the Normal style uses Times New Roman font.

Changes I typically make (hard to tell what defaults were since I already made them), File tab > Options option >:

Genreral Options: Change user name to my name,

Display: turn on Show All Formatting Marks (equivalent to clicking on the Show/Hide button on the Home tab), turn on Update fields before printing

Save: turn on Save Aurotrecover and reduce time interval to 5 minutes or less, turn on Keep last autosaved version if I close without saving

Language: make sure you have the "right" language selected ie Canadian vs Britsh vs US English

Advanced (ooh there are lots/too many in here to list all, many are specific to how you prefer to work, how much "automatic help" you want from Word ): turn off Show Picture Placeholders, Field Shading:Always, increase number of Recent Documents (I use 25, depends on your screen resolution), turn on show shortcut keys in tooltips, turn on show horizontal scroll bar, turn on vertical scroll bar, turn on show vertical ruler in print layout view, turn on Prompt before saving Normal Template (this one is important so you can keep track of changes made to NORMAL. if you don't know what changes it is asking to save, just say NO. Unfortunately MS still hasn't got around to telling us changes are being saved...) . turn on provide feedback with sound (I like to be beeped at...), turn on Confirm File format conversion on open (I want to always know before Word converts a file from one thing to another), File locations: I've changed the default file save location,

under Advanced > LAYOUT OPTIONS, there are lots of possibilities: my favorite is turn on "Do full justification the way WordPerfect 6.0 for Win does" (this is a more "intelligent" than default MS approach which only inserts full space char between words, WP approach inserts variable size spaces and also increases intra-letter spacing in words). Another one I like to turn on is "Don't expand character spaces on a line that ends with SHIFT RETURN. If you leave it off, on a fully justified line the words have huge spaces between them, if you turn it on the spacing remains normal. Another bunch to consider is the "Suppress extra line spacing at ..." group of options.

PS: Does anyone have a link to a full description of all of these options (for any version of Word, old version would be better than nothing). They are basically "me-too" features that MS added to allow former users of other tools to feel comfortable changing over to Word. So you have to be aware of the historical context and specific software feature that the option is emulating to make an informed decision if it is something you want.

"Pay" for this free service by clicking on the Blue "Answer" link on reply that fixed yourproblem.
Rohn007
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Rohn007 replied on

Sorry, you have to use Word.

File tab > Open option > make sure "All Word Documents" or "All Word Templates" is selected > navigate to the correct location > open NORMAL.DOTM > make your changes.

OT PS: (irrelevant to your question, just for info only) if you want to see less gobbledy-gook in notepad, the new 2007/2010 file formats (DOCX, DOTM ...) are based on the ZIP file format. If you (copy then) rename a DOCX, or DOTM, to ZIP you can browse through the XML file structure components in text mode.
"Pay" for this free service by clicking on the Blue "Answer" link on reply that fixed yourproblem.
Rohn007
Found this helpful 0
Rohn007 replied on

In theory, Global change is to edit NORMAL.DOTM as a template, make the change, save it.

I've been playing with it right now and it just seem to pickup whatever the setting is when you perform File > Open. It doesn't appear to be saved with the document, just "pot luck"

Personally I prefer to keep it on all the time, so I rarely worry about default because it is already on.

Jay RB
Found this helpful 0
Jay RB replied on

Thanks Rohn,

I tried to open Normal.dotm in notepad, and only saw gobbledy-ggok.  After a quick online search, I am still confused as to what I need to do.

Can you provide step by step instructions?

Cheers,

Jay

Rohn007
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Rohn007 replied on

Sorry, you have to use Word.

File tab > Open option > make sure "All Word Documents" or "All Word Templates" is selected > navigate to the correct location > open NORMAL.DOTM > make your changes.

OT PS: (irrelevant to your question, just for info only) if you want to see less gobbledy-gook in notepad, the new 2007/2010 file formats (DOCX, DOTM ...) are based on the ZIP file format. If you (copy then) rename a DOCX, or DOTM, to ZIP you can browse through the XML file structure components in text mode.
Jay RB
Found this helpful 0
Jay RB replied on

Thanks, Rohn,

a) Unfortunately, the first method is still not working for me. When I open "normal.dotm" in the {user}/application data/microsoft/templates directory, the document opens, but it is completely blank, whether in draft view or page layout view.  I did notice that the icon for this document has an exclamation mark on it - could that be part of my problem?  I deleted a couple of temp files in this folder (though none were of normal.dotm) and that did not resolve my problem.

b) I've had some success with the second method (rename to zip, extract and open in notepad)... however I'm still trying to find the hidden text option among all the separate files.  Not wanting to take too much of your time, I googled [ "hidden text" "normal.dotm" "word 2010" ], but found nothing of specific relevance.  Any ideas as to how I will eventually find this specific option among all the others?

Many, many thanks,

Jay

Rohn007
Found this helpful 0
Answer
Rohn007 replied on

OK, we are getting closer, just a matter of closing the communication gap between you and me. Not a problem. Option B had nothing to do with your problem, it is just for geeks and emergencies (you DOC is corrupted and you want to recover the body text only from it).

When you opened the NORMAL.DOTM in Word, as template, you saw exactly what you are supposed to see, a "blank" document. This is the base for every "new" document you see.

While you are in NORMAL.DOTM in edit mode, any change you make (and save when closing the document) will now appear in any NEW document you create.

So, if you modify a style, say "NORMAL" for discussion, and change the font to Times New Roman (like it used to be in 2003), then from now on all of your new documents would show the Normal style uses Times New Roman font.

Changes I typically make (hard to tell what defaults were since I already made them), File tab > Options option >:

Genreral Options: Change user name to my name,

Display: turn on Show All Formatting Marks (equivalent to clicking on the Show/Hide button on the Home tab), turn on Update fields before printing

Save: turn on Save Aurotrecover and reduce time interval to 5 minutes or less, turn on Keep last autosaved version if I close without saving

Language: make sure you have the "right" language selected ie Canadian vs Britsh vs US English

Advanced (ooh there are lots/too many in here to list all, many are specific to how you prefer to work, how much "automatic help" you want from Word ): turn off Show Picture Placeholders, Field Shading:Always, increase number of Recent Documents (I use 25, depends on your screen resolution), turn on show shortcut keys in tooltips, turn on show horizontal scroll bar, turn on vertical scroll bar, turn on show vertical ruler in print layout view, turn on Prompt before saving Normal Template (this one is important so you can keep track of changes made to NORMAL. if you don't know what changes it is asking to save, just say NO. Unfortunately MS still hasn't got around to telling us changes are being saved...) . turn on provide feedback with sound (I like to be beeped at...), turn on Confirm File format conversion on open (I want to always know before Word converts a file from one thing to another), File locations: I've changed the default file save location,

under Advanced > LAYOUT OPTIONS, there are lots of possibilities: my favorite is turn on "Do full justification the way WordPerfect 6.0 for Win does" (this is a more "intelligent" than default MS approach which only inserts full space char between words, WP approach inserts variable size spaces and also increases intra-letter spacing in words). Another one I like to turn on is "Don't expand character spaces on a line that ends with SHIFT RETURN. If you leave it off, on a fully justified line the words have huge spaces between them, if you turn it on the spacing remains normal. Another bunch to consider is the "Suppress extra line spacing at ..." group of options.

PS: Does anyone have a link to a full description of all of these options (for any version of Word, old version would be better than nothing). They are basically "me-too" features that MS added to allow former users of other tools to feel comfortable changing over to Word. So you have to be aware of the historical context and specific software feature that the option is emulating to make an informed decision if it is something you want.

Jay RB
Found this helpful 0
Jay RB replied on

Rohn!

What an excellent explanation!  Marvelous!  It worked perfectly!

Thank you very, very much,

Jay

Suzanne S. Barnhill
Found this helpful 0

Note that it is NOT necessary to open the Normal template to make these changes. For one thing, Options settings are not even stored in the Normal template but rather in the Windows Registry.

Occasionally you will have to open Normal.dot or Normal.dotm to make a change in the display, but this change alone will not cause the template to be saved; see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org
Rohn007
Found this helpful 0
Rohn007 replied on

Yes Suzanne, from my other reading I understand that for the last 3-4 (maybe more) releases of Word, MS has been moving more (but not all) of the settings into the registry from NORMAL.DOT (and now DOTM).  But it is a "big dark secret" which ones have been moved. So I find it easiest and "safest" to simply continue to edit NORMAL.DOT(M) when I want to change my defaults. This way I don't have to worry about which go to the registry and which go to normal and which settings have moved depending on which version I happen to be using. It is also why one of the customizations I always set and recommend is "prompt to save normal.dot".

Do you happen to have links to which settings are stored in normal.dot(m) and which are stored in the registry (for any versions).

Funny thing, I looked at your links and the first one said exactly the same thing I did. So does the second link, referring to Word 2004 (MAC?) and earlier with a link to another doc for 2007+ but that talks about using styles, not about saving configuration changes.

Suzanne S. Barnhill
Found this helpful 0

" WD: Where Word Settings Are Stored" (retired)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=172674<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

"WD2000: Where Settings Are Stored in the Registry"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212242

There's also some information in:

"How to reset user options and registry settings in Word"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822005

Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org
Rohn007
Found this helpful 0
Rohn007 replied on

Thanks for the links.  Too bad the first one is for Word 95 and 97, can't expect it to be very relevant to 2007/2010.  I did some searching based on that tip and found this one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820919/ - How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2003 or Word 2002 which points to 2 registry keys, "Data" and "Options", so I checked them on my machine for 2007 (12.0) and 2010 (14.0):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data (only has 3 entries, one of which has a moderately long binary value, but not long enough to store a lot of settings)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Options (only has 4 entries, plus one which I had to add for multi version running)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options (has 22 entries (plus 1 I added))

I also found this updated link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541 - How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2010, Word 2007, Word 2003, or Word 2002

The 2003/2002 version of that tip included the following intro which described general locations where configuration information is stored:

<snip <!-- [if gte mso 10]> <mce:style> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820919/ >
This article shows you how to use the Troubleshoot utility to turn off the following components. These components are typically loaded during Word startup:

• The Word Data registry key
  • The Word Options registry key
  • The Normal.dot global template
  • Add-ins and templates
  • COM add-ins
  • The Options registry key

</snip>

Unfortunately neither of them specify what info is stored where.

While I was looking I came across an article that said Vision 2002 had an option to force all configuration options to be stored in the registry. Interesting.

Previous Previous Page of 2 Next Next