Paste - Merge Formatting Options

I am copying dictionary definitions from a program into Word 2010. These entries have bold, italics, and underlines that I want to keep, however they also have different font faces and colors that I want to discard.

• When I paste using "Keep Text Only" I lose the bold, italics, and underlines I need to keep, but the font face correctly matches the one the selected in Normal style.
  • When I past using "Merge Format" I keep the bold, italics, and underlines I want, but the font face is not changed to the one the selected in Normal style.

How can I set the merge formatting to remove all different font faces, but still keep he bold, italics, and underlines? Is there a registry entry somewhere I can edit?

Sorry, there is no way to specify "Merge format but only a few parts of the format". It's all or nothing.

After you paste with Merge Format, select the pasted text and change the font.

You can try applying the Normal style to the pasted text, but the result will probably vary from one instance to another, depending on how much of the text has the bold, italics, and underline formatting -- if it's more than half of the text, Word will make the entire selection have that formatting. It can be very difficult to predict when that threshold has been crossed, although you can press Ctrl+Z (Undo) if the results are wrong.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 288 Applies to: