Password protect first page only in Word 2010

Hi,

I hope someone can assist me with this.

Recently we underwent a major internal document rebranding process and had to insert a logo in the bottom footer and top left corner of the header on the first page of each document. The graphic designers are the only people who may modify the branding, since they are the experts on the company's corporate identity.

We made templates for my company's academic department who has to create exam papers with questions and whatnot. We have to restrict editing of the header and footer on the first page ONLY, because the people who will be setting up the exam papers have to be able to insert their own footer from the 2nd page onwards. We're not using a header for the 2nd page onwards. We cannot put the 2nd page footer content outside the footer, because they will move things to undesirable locations.

So, 1st page header and footer must be locked. 2nd page footer must be editable.

How do I go about this? Is this even possible?

I tried to use continuous section breaks, but the 2nd page footers still stay locked after I specified which sections to protect and which to leave unprotected.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Microsoft Office 2010
Windows 7 Professional Service pack 1
Answer
Answer
There is a better way to do this, without macros.

1. Open a template. If it currently has only one page, insert a page break at the end to create a temporary second page.
  2. If you haven't already enabled "Different first page" on the Header & Footer Tools tab, open the header and check that box.
  3. On the Review tab, click the Restrict Editing button to open the pane.
  4. Under Editing Restrictions, check the box for "Allow...". Leave the dropdown set to "No changes (Read only)".
  5. Click in the main text and press Ctrl+A (select all), then check the Everyone box in the Restrict Editing pane.
  6. Open the footer on the second page, select the whole paragraph(s), and again check the Everyone box in the Restrict Editing pane.
  7. If you added a page break in step 1, delete it. Although the second-page footer won't be visible, it's still in the template and still marked as allowed for editing; it will reappear when a document based on the template grows beyond page 1.
  8. Click the "Yes, Start Enforcing Protection" button. Enter and re-enter your password and click OK. Close the Pane and save the template.

If anyone tries to edit the first-page header or footer, or the header on remaining pages, nothing will happen except that the status bar will say "This modification is not allowed because the selection is locked". Everything that you marked as available to Everyone will remain editable.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,051 Applies to: