Outline format issues in Word 2010

I have trouble with my outline formatting when I use 1st, 2nd and 3rd level one selection. The problem is that the spacing after the bullet of 1st for the preceding word in two spaces but when you type after 2nd and 3rd the spacing is a tab and that looks like ****. Below is my actual outline. as you can see the 1st step has a two space margin between it and the "Determine the Classes" while the 2nd has a tab space to "Tally the Data" and I cannot find out where to change it. The format for outline lets you select what happens to your first, second and third levels but doesn't go into detail about a first level second entry (ie 2nd). Why do you think you know more than the customer Microsoft?

For most (predefined) lists, the separator is a tab character. You can customize the list format as follows: Click in the first list item. On the Home tab, click Multilevel List, and then click Define New Multilevel List (yes, you should use "New" even when you are editing an existing list). In the multilevel list dialog box, click More to see all options, and make the desired changes.

For more on the options, take a look at http://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html. The article also discusses how to set up numbering linked to styles, which is the best approach in longer, structured documents.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

So what?  I click and point and click and what is it that is making this format off from the first line?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you read the article I linked to?
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes.  What part of that helps me?  Where does it say second line jacked up click here? I can set for all levels.  Define my own.  Make a new one but it doesn't fix what I have.  A Copy and Paste job doesn't fix it.  

I talked it over with the boss and a Apple words doc will do. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Display the multilevel list dialog box for your existing list by following the instructions I posted in my first reply in this thread. If you want to adjust the spacing around list numbers, use the controls in the "Position" section of the dialog box. These are discussed in the article I linked to.

If you upload an example document to OneDrive/SkyDrive or Dropbox and post a link here, I can take a look. Be sure to explain what formatting you want to change.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2023 Views 1,163 Applies to: