Opening a File Brings an already open Word File to the front

This is kinda annoying but when I open a Word file (or Excel for that matter), it brings an already open Word file to the front before opening the file I double-clicked to open (usually from a folder in Windows Explorer) and places it in a different location.  I have a Word file that I always leave open but wish to leave that one minimized when I need to look at others throughout the day.  None of my open windows in any program are at full screen size but I just tested and it happens even at full size.  Is there a way to eliminate this file "connection?"
Not that I'm aware of, other than by starting Word/Excel itself then File>Open
Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Not that I'm aware of, other than by starting Word/Excel itself then File>Open

Yeah thing is I navigate through folders in Explorer so it's easier to just click on the Word file there.  Otherwise, I'd have to go to that already open file anyway, which I am trying to avoid doing since that file isn't utilized as much and mostly minimized throughout the day.  Before the upgrade here at work, this did not occur so it appears it's an Office 2010 happening and it is maddening because I have to keep minimizing the already open file with every other Word file I open.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've always experienced this in Word 2010, so I'm not sure what upgrade you refer to.

I'm aware that peoples have issues with Excel workbooks opening in the same Excel instance/window and whilst there is a supposed fix/method that has them opening in separate instances, my experience is that this does not always function and the only sure method is to open the first Excel workbook, then explicitly start Excel and File>Open

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 1,014 Applies to: