Open word in a separate thread

Hi,

I am using Visual Studio 2010 and Office 2010 for a VB.net Project. One of the requirement is that I have to open two word documents in separate threads. By default, word is using the thread of already opened word document to open the required document. Could somebody pour some light into this problem?

Answer
Answer

Hi,

I am using Visual Studio 2010 and Office 2010 for a VB.net Project. One of the requirement is that I have to open two word documents in separate threads. By default, word is using the thread of already opened word document to open the required document. Could somebody pour some light into this problem?

Create a new Instance of Word and use that to open the other document. The two instances will function independently, although of course you can move data between the separate instances using their objects.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

If you want to open a separate Word session from the desktop you can use command line  parameters

Make a copy of the desktop shortcut and edit the "target" to use either of the following parameters

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office 14\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" /w /n

/n starts a new instance

/w start a new instance with a blank document

Here is the full list:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/210565

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/list-of-microsoft-word-2010-command-line-startup-switches

September 13, 2010 Author: AnandK@TWC Category: Office Tags: Command Line, Word

Microsoft Word has several useful command line switches that can be used to start Word. To open a Word document using the switches in Windows 7, type winword.exe /x. Here “/x” is the switch.

To modify how Microsoft Office Word starts on a one-time basis, you can add switches to the Microsoft Windows Run command (Start menu).

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 7, 2023 Views 796 Applies to: