Open Word documents in separate instances

My old computer ran on Windows Vista and would open each word document as a separate instance. Now I have Windows 7 64 bit and this does not happen.  I work on large text files, some of them over 10,000 pages long, and can have 4-5 documents open simultaneously. In the past, when I would send one of them to the printer, the others would carry on working fine. Now, I have to wait for all the open documents to repaginate, and if I try to cancel repagination all word windows stop responding and I have been losing hours of work. Any way to get 7 to work like Vista in this regard. I have aLenovo W530, Intel Core i7 3820QM @ 2.70GHz, 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz. I checked with resmon and CPU and mem are no where near being used up.
Answer
Answer
To force Word to open a new instance, include the /w switch in the command line (in the Run box or in a desktop shortcut). For information about command-line switches for Word, see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=210565.

To make this easier to work with, use Windows Explorer to go to the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14, right-click the Winword.exe file, and choose Send To > Desktop (as shortcut). Then right-click the new shortcut and click Properties. In the Target box, add a space and /w at the end of the path (after the closing quotes).

Double-clicking this shortcut will open a new instance of Word with a blank document, while dragging the icon of a document file and dropping it on the new shortcut will open a new instance and open the document. The Task Manager confirms that each of these is a separate instance of the Winword.exe process.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2024 Views 7,805 Applies to: