Office Printer drop-down order

When I'm in Office (Word, Excel, etc.) and i want to print something, I go to FILE -> PRINT and then select the Printer drop-down list so I can find a printer to print my job.  Can someone explain what order the printers are listed in, and if/how they can be modified?  I have certain printers I would like closer to the top and others near the bottom.  I do not see a way to manipulate the order. 
Looking at the list here, they are in alphabetical order.  I think that you should be able to rename the printers by inserting the appropriate letter of the alphabet before the present name and thus get them in the order that you want.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Doug, unfortunately these are network printers so we can't rename them locally.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, you can.

While the printer is networked, the printer driver is installed locally. So you can custom name the driver when it is being installed.  Now the trick is, how do you force the network driver to re-install and give you the option of changing the name...
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 19, 2024 Views 820 Applies to: