Office appears to be opening word docs. in picture mode

Some previous docs can be opened, but many can not.  And what used to be simple e-mailed word doc. attachments can not now be opened.

Last week I was unable to open a doc. and allowed Office to "update" in hopes of opening the doc. I was not able to open that doc. and now can not open others it seems to think are pictures.

Please note that I did try to uninstall and re-install office with no better success.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer advice/help,

Bill

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

So what happens when you start Word then open the doc?

And if you double click an attachment, what msg is generated? 

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Exactly what do you mean "picture mode"?

Do you mean there is a "Read Only" message in the top of the application Window beside the File name?

Please give us more of a description of what you see and what is happening

It is hard to make suggestions until we understand the problem.

Try starting Word in "Safe Mode" to see if one of your addins is causing the problem

Shortcut to Start Word in Safe Mode or Excel in Safe Mode, Hold <CTL> key when clicking on icon or using the Start menu search window and entering WINWORD.EXE /a  or  WINWORD.EXE /safe

Another thing you can do is use the Problem Step Recorder (PSR) to capture one of your problem sessions. Use the comment feature to add descriptive text to any step that is not obvious. Then you can show us exactly what is happening without worrying about terminology.  In one other case using PSR made the difference by making the problem abundantly clear to me.

Win7 & Win8 Problem Steps Recorder - PSR

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/How-do-I-use-Problem-Steps-Recorder

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how-tos/how_use_windows_7_problem_steps_recorder_make_easy_pc_guides

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd371782%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

http://www.7tutorials.com/easy-troubleshooting-and-problem-solving-problem-steps-recorder

https://

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6EgLm3-XcQ

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/patricka/archive/2010/01/04/using-the-secret-windows-7-problem-step-recorder-to-create-step-by-step-screenshot-documents.aspx

Please use the Problem Steps Recorder to capture what you are doing so we have more details to work with. Either copy and paste the recorded steps into the forum or upload the zip file to Skydrive and give us a link to the zip file

Users and computer ‘geeks” often don’t speak the same language, interpreting things differently based on their experience. This short article has 3 examples of fundamental misunderstandings http://www.infoworld.com/t/it-jobs/say-what-three-unfortunate-users-in-need-of-tech-translator-212321

When you read it, if you are posting a question you will probably scratch your head at the answers, while computer people will be slapping their forehead and laughing out loud. Both reactions are reasonable reflections of the readers experience. Using PSR is one way to bridge that communication breakdown.

Solving problems unique to a machine can be an arduous task for both the end-user and the help desk. That’s why Win7 introduces the Problem Steps Recorder, a screen-capture tool that allows the end-user to record the problems they’re having step-by-step. If the problem is repeatable, the recorder will capture what you do in text form.

It’s as simple as hitting “record” then adding in comments as needed. A HTML-based file is converted to a .ZIP folder, which is easily passed on to the help desk.  The program is accessible from the Control Panel under “Record steps to reproduce a problem” or run psr.exe from Explorer.

Upload result to a file share site like skydrive and post the link back here so we can look at it too.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Palcouk!

Thanks for the reply.  other then a window opening (with nothing to view), no message appears.  However, when you click on "properties" the right side opens up with Picture properties (Type - Icon, dimensions, etc....) and below that Camera properties - although this then says the file has no camera properties.

and I can open some older type word files..............but not others that I thought were recently available.

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Bill

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

my apologies for previous omission - Thanks also to Rohn007 for your thoughts

I tried opening Office in Safe mode, but am not sure I reinstalled correctly - there is no workable desktop icon. - I'll have to try the other options you listed

that said, I have been playing with various documents and it appears I can open more then I thought - documents listed in RTF or Microsoft Word can be opened - items listed as "doc" can not be opened - even if this same version of Office was the version that created the document.

Thanks again, Bill

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Bill,

Provide more information:

1) Are you trying to open the *.doc files directly from email?
2) What happens when you right click on the *.doc file saved on your computer and select Open with and choose Microsoft Word?
Note: Associate *.doc type files to in Word.

Open Word and then try open the *.doc file from within (Ctrl + O) and verify the result.

Reply with necessary information and the result for further assistance.

Thank You.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Daniel for the reply and advise!

I have tried to open directly from e-mail, web sites, etc..................and also saving to documents and opening from there (was not sure if that is the same Ctrl + O) - same result with Microsoft Office 2010 opening with only a small icon (assume it is an Office icon) in the middle of the screen - I then opened another Word file and it opens fine to a separate window.

Not sure I can figure out the PSR advice of the other poster; or that it would be of any use with no code/message. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Bill,

Thank you for replying.

1) Are you able to create a new document and save it in *.doc format (97-2003) and then re-open it?

2) Are you able to find Office application icons in the following folder?
C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14

If you find the Office application icons (E.g. Winword, PowerPnt, Excel, OneNote (.exe), right click on it and then Send to, Desktop shortcut and check whether desktop shortcut gets created.

The Problem Steps Recorder captures every click as a screen shot:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-use-Problem-Steps-Recorder

Hope the above information helps. Reply with the result and I'll be glad to further assist you.

Thank You.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again Daniel!

1. was able to save, but not re-open

2. I was able to create desktop shortcuts for both Program Files and program Files x86

I was able to open the PSR instructions.  were the above shortcuts a step forward? or does it need to be accompanied with a PSR?

Thanks, Bill

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why are you creating shortcuts to "Program Files"?

The links to your PSR did not come through...
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rohn!

I appreciate the help, but not sure if you saw that Daniel, the Microsoft engineer, asked me to create the program File shortcuts.  I did partially respond to your prior lengthy post, but struggled with your links and just not sure I understand the direction.

I'll try to attach a short PSR (due to proprietary info. on puter, much is not recordable) - but even that appears not to match what I see on my screen and thus may not be useful.

The good news is that I guess much of Office is actually usable - just not anything in the 97-2003 format - although there may be other non working Office parts I'll find out about later.

Still hope to still get this worked out. 

Thanks, Bill

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2024 Views 1,827 Applies to: