Office 2010 Glitches with Word/Excel and Outlook - FIXED ???

I use Office 2010 and there are two little items that drive me Crazy.  Is there a fix or does anyone know how to change a setting or whatever to stop this from happening:

First

MS Word - Typing Replaces Selection

This option comes unchecked at random times.  It has been suggested that I am accidently hitting a keystroke combination to do this but I don't think so.  This is not the same as insert/overtype.  I highlight with my mouse and instead of deleting the old text and replace with amended text Word keeps the old text and adds the new text to the document. 

Second

Outlook in conjunction with Word/Excel

If there is an unsaved document in word or excel and you have Outlook open, routinely the document cannot be closed because when you click close or save the new window opens BEHIND the "Word" document with no way to move the window.  To get out of this, I need to press escape to close the open dialog box, Close Outlook, save my document then re-open outlook.  One possible trigger for this scenario is when you need to send a document using the send as attachment option (which I use a lot) within Word or Excel.  Even if the document you are sending is saved, any open document in either Word or Excel is subject to this little glitch.

These two things are driving me out of my mind because once you get into a work routine these annoying little matters pop up and disrupt train of thought and work flow.  Anyone else having this issue...more importantly, how is this fixed?

Hello Rookie,

I understand how difficult it is if Office application does not work as expected.

Do you find this issue with a specific Word document?

You may start Word application in its safe mode and check if it works as expected.

Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

In the ‘Run’ window type ‘Winword /safe’ (Without the quotes) and press ‘enter’.

If Word works as expected in application safe mode, you may try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the following article and check if it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Regarding the Outlook issue once you click on send as attachment, you may send the mail before trying to close the Word document.

I hope the above information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It does not affect a specific document.  Rather this is a global intermittent problem (please don't groan... I know these are the worst because you can't always recreate to condition that causes the problem)  I can manually go into settings, under the advanced tab and select the "Typing Replaces Selection" box.  Once this is done, the program works as it should without even having to restart Word.  The problem is that something is causing this box to become deselected.  I have even tried opening the master word template, selecting the option and saving the changes.  Sometimes I will go for three or four days with it working fine.  Other times I have to fix it three or four time a day.

Regarding Outlook, this issue does not always pop up after trying to send a document directly from Word, although this is the most common trigger.  (It may be worthy to note while I refer to Word, this issue does affect Excel but seemingly less so but this may just be a perception by me.)  Once the condition hits, there are only two ways, that I have found, to fix it.  First is to shrink the active document window to less than 1/4 of the screen and try to save.  This way when the "Save" dialog box opens, there is enough open real estate on my screen to see the box and either move it to expose the buttons or the buttons are already exposed and I can proceed.  The other option is to restart Outlook.  Once Outlook is closed the issue with saving the Word document disappears.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It does not affect a specific document.  Rather this is a global intermittent problem (please don't groan... I know these are the worst because you can't always recreate to condition that causes the problem)  I can manually go into settings, under the advanced tab and select the "Typing Replaces Selection" box.  Once this is done, the program works as it should without even having to restart Word.  The problem is that something is causing this box to become deselected.  I have even tried opening the master word template, selecting the option and saving the changes.  Sometimes I will go for three or four days with it working fine.  Other times I have to fix it three or four time a day.

When options in the Word Options dialog box don't stick, the cause might be a damaged registry key. In the registry editor, try deleting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Data keys; do this with Word closed. See also http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541/en-us/. Restart Word (Word Options will have reset to their defaults) and then select "Typing replaces selected text" again.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Both of the issues in my original question are still outstanding.  Numerous fix attempts have failed.  The entire office (130+ people have this problem) and have spoken to people outside the office with the same complaints.

The typing replacing selection symptom has also manifested in other option as well.  Check spelling as you type regularly turns itself off, which wreaks havoc with some of the office macros for letterhead.  Given the ubiquitous nature of the problem, which started on everyone's computer only upon upgrade to MS Office 2010, I still believe this to be a glitch that ought to review. 

In my experience, the goto response is there is something wrong with your machine which has occurred here with the suggestion of a corrupt registry key.  If such is the case, it is corrupt on the installation file and should therefore be fixed by Microsoft.  It certainly seems that the blame the users machine is a most common response when the programmers cannot find the cause of the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Both of the issues in my original question are still outstanding.  Numerous fix attempts have failed.  The entire office (130+ people have this problem) and have spoken to people outside the office with the same complaints.

The typing replacing selection symptom has also manifested in other option as well.  Check spelling as you type regularly turns itself off, which wreaks havoc with some of the office macros for letterhead.  Given the ubiquitous nature of the problem, which started on everyone's computer only upon upgrade to MS Office 2010, I still believe this to be a glitch that ought to review. 

In my experience, the goto response is there is something wrong with your machine which has occurred here with the suggestion of a corrupt registry key.  If such is the case, it is corrupt on the installation file and should therefore be fixed by Microsoft.  It certainly seems that the blame the users machine is a most common response when the programmers cannot find the cause of the problem.

No one in this (old) thread has suggested that this should be a hardware issue. On the contrary, registry keys corrupt now and then. It could occur for example if Word is forced to close when Windows restarts following an automatic update. (It follows that leaving a file unattended, say, over night is not a good idea, but I'm sure you have already considered that.)

I have used Office 2010 for years and never had any problems with it, so I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with the Office 2010 installer.

What fixes have you tried, specifically?

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Whether it is the installer program or whatever the cause, something is not working correctly.  The IT department at the office has assured me that there is nothing wrong with the registry key and they are not prepared to verify 130 different machines currently experiencing the problem.  I find the suggestion that because you have not had the issue there is no problem Ludacris.  These issues arose on mine and all of the other machines upon the installation of MS Office 2010.  Broad spectrum issues are very tough to justify with coincidence. 

My reference to the installer program was only in response to the suggestion that it was a corrupt file.  If such is the case, our office had 130 separate instances of the same corrupt file coinciding exactly with the upgrade to MS Office 2010. 

As for fixes I have tried, specifically.  The more technical stuff (registry keys and such) is not me and I defer to the expertise of the IT department that looked into the issue following the suggestion of a corrupt key.  I personally have to perform a manual per incident fix of Click office button, select options, advanced options, click the little box for typing replaces selection (same procedure for spell check as you type under that menu).  I have tried doing this with the Normal.dot template file in hopes it would correct the issue.  Nothing.

As for the saving issue.  The save dialog box being "always on bottom" is a tough fix for a non-programmer like myself.  Don't even know where or how to start looking. 

As for this being an (old) thread, one would have hoped that given enough time a fix would have been released.  As the issue appears to be imaginary on my part one is not forthcoming.  My apologies for the sarcasm however, once again the issue comes back to tech support suggesting if they can't solve an issue, it doesn't exist.  Such is exactly how I feel in this circumstance.  I wish I could say that I had enough time on my hands to randomly make up issues just to enjoy the experience of contacting tech support.  I would much prefer however, that the software work in the manner in which it previously did.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The fact that I haven't seen any problems with installing Office certainly proves that there isn't a general issue with the installer. Of course, it's still possible that there is a problem with the way installations/updates are pushed to users' computers in your organization.

Attacking the problem from another angle, ask your IT department if they have used group policy or some other means to prevent users from writing to the registry. If individual users can't write to the registry properly, then changes to Office settings won't be preserved (simply because changing settings on a computer requires that you can modify registry entries).

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,853 Applies to: