Odd Ruler Behavior on Page Containing Table and Text

I have a 4-column table with a few paragraphs of text under it.  The page has no sections (that I can see).  The page margins are set to 1" left and right.

Oddly, the text is aligned under the right border of the table and I can't figure out how to get it to align 1" from with the left margin of the page, as the paragraph options assure me it is doing.

The ruler looks quite different depending on whether my cursor is in the table or the text.  The usable ruler displayed when in table starts on the left edge of the page and ends just short of 11."  Then the ruler continues to 18.5" but is grayed out.

The ruler when the cursor is in the text portion begins at 0, but is actually 11" as it is aligned under the last column of the table and starts at the right margin of the page. The ruler is now grayed out on the left side so I cannot adjust it that way either.

Does anyone know what's causing it and how to fix it?  Thanks.

Answer
Answer
The document contains a  table that is left aligned with a negative indent of 10.93 inches, which just happened to mean that the right edge of the table was aligned at the left margin as was the text in the balance of the document.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2023 Views 1,083 Applies to: