Numbering Inside a Table in Word with Merged Cells

I am trying to re-solve a problem with Microsoft Word using tables inside of word with merged cells.  The application is writing procedures using a table.  The general table is 6 columns wide by multiple rows.  The top row of each table is merged into one row as a title heading and then the second row is split into each column header title. One of the columns is titled Step number.  Each row is a step for the procedure.  I would like to auto number each step(row) so I don't have manually enter each step number.  However my problem is auto numbering system will not work through out the table because the procedure has a rows that are merged together to offer a note or precaution for the upcoming steps.  Could you please give me guidance to help use auto numbering for the rows? 
Answer
Answer
If you use the numbering facility automatically number the rows and do not merge the cells in the note rows until after dealing with the subject in the following row, or at least have that row present, the numbering will be automatically adjusted after you do merge the cells in that row.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 28, 2023 Views 637 Applies to: