Numbered paragraph style, first word, etc. in bold until colon, then "normal" styled text

I've had times where this ended up kinda/sorta happening automatically (more specifically, I suppose this was via format painter where it retained the styling of first word bolded, rest not), but I'd like to figure out if there's a way to control it.

What I'd like to accomplish, is for my style overall to behave like this, as automatically as possible (including numbering, as part of the style).

1. First few words bold: Then after the colon, regular looking text

1.2 More first few words: And after the colon, regular looking text

1.2.1 You get the picture:  So my question is, is there a way to do this?  (Or worst case, just the first word bolded, rest automatically not?)

Answer
Answer
You can't store this formatting as part of a style. What you can do is have Word "recognize" formatting that you apply to the first list item and apply it automatically for subsequent list items. This works if you do the following: Click File | Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options. On the AutoFormat As You Type tab, make sure that "Format beginning of list item like the one before it" is selected, and click OK twice.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 21, 2023 Views 5,498 Applies to: