Numbered List Combining Right-to-left and Left-to-Right

I am trying to create a multi-layered numbered list (2 layered to be precise, the first layer 1, 2. 3 etc, the second a, b, c...) including both English and Arabic and am having some problems.
I need all the numbers using English numerals (if I may call them that to avoid confusion) to be left-to-right but the text following them for those entries which are in Arabic to be right-to-left. Therefore I need to combine both left-to-right and right-to-left in a single line. How do I do this?
Also, how do I manually input numbers that will automatically come in sequence? The automatic function does not work well and keeps starting from 1., even when I click 'Continue numbering' in the AutoFormat tab.
Thank you very much for your help.

If I understand you correctly, you would just need to use your tabs

1.     ABC                                               a.     text

2.     ABC                                     b.     more text

or you could put them in a table

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

No, this is not the real problem, the problem is with having both left-to-right and right-to-left (English and Arabic) in the same line
(a table won't work for me either)

To illustrate:
I need the number one here to be on the left, but the Arabic/Persian text to run right-to-left as is.

1.      "رسالة سه اصل"، به انضمام  منتخب از مثنوي و رباعيات، (بمناسبت چهارصدمين سال تولد      صدرالدين شيرازي) از صدرالدين محمد بن ابراهيم، به اهتمام و تصحيح سيّد حسين نصر، تهران، انتشارات دانشگاه تهران، 1340، چاپ دوّم، تهران، انتشارات مولي، 1346، چاپ سوّم، تهران، انتشارات روزنه، 1377. (P)                 

Thanks.              

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Note: when my message above got posted the text reverted to left-to-right format (as I pasted it, it was all right-to-left as it should be but the number 1. flew all the way to the right, whereas I need it on the left) - 
the problem in the text shown is on the third line, where the text should be on the far left and the (P) should be after 1377.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If there's an incorrect display of RTL word order in a LTR paragraph (section 1 of the image attached), you can put the cursor at the beginning of the paragraph, then go to Insert > Symbol > more symbols > Special Characters tab, and insert Right-to-Left Embedding (section 2).

As for the third line, if you mean that you want to move it to far right, well, that's almost impossible without causing other problems, since the paragraph started LTR. You can align the text to the right, but the number 1. would shift a bit to the right. (section 3) The only solution I found is to add spaces or kashidas to the first line of the paragraph in order to push the number back to its original position (section 4).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 541 Applies to: