Number lines in text field of a form

In Word 2010, I have a form that users are supposed to type in and number their various observations in a text form field. The problem I am having is that when they type 1. in the text field, the automatic numbering takes over which is fine but when you press enter and type a 2. it isn't automatically numbered so the indentation is off (see below).

Since this form will be filled out on hundreds of different machines, turning off automatic numbering in the autocorrect options will not work. I created a custom style so I could apply it when in the Content Control Properties box but it isn't listed when I check the box to "Use a style to format contents".

Long story short, how do I allow users to number their observations in the text form fields without automatic numbering kicking in or apply my number style to the field?

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Answer
Answer

Only paragraph (and character) styles show up in the "Use a style to format contents" drop down, so you will have to create a numbered paragraph style for that to work. For example, you can use the built-in List Number style (it has no indent by default). 

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 87 Applies to: