New caption label for Appendices does not increment the number of figure

I followed the instructions in Shauna Kelley's article about how to create a new figure label for Appendices.  I had success with one large document that I created, importing figures in the appendices as I went and creating the caption for each.  I am using a template provided by my organization, with Heading 5 defined for Appendix headings.

I am now writing another large document, with the same template.  This time, I wrote five appendices outside of this template, and now I am copying and pasting the text.  The figures in the pre-written appendices were captioned with the main text figure label, so now I am converting them to the Figure_Apx label that Shauna described.  Here is the problem.  The first figure is labeled "Figure A-1".  The second figure is labeled "Figure A-1".  The third figure is labeled "Figure A-2".  All figures thereafter are incremented correctly, but are one off.

I have looked at the codes (alt + F9) between the two documents and do not see any differences.  I have tried changing the switch in those codes from "\s 5" to "\r 2" for the second figure, but maybe I do not understand that formatting--they seem to set to the desired values, but then change to something else at some point after I move onto setting this switch with other figures.  I tried the switch "\n 5", but it was not recognized. 

I did put section breaks before the first appendix and between each appendix thereafter.

Any ideas what is wrong and what is the solution?

Answer
Answer

Hi Stefan,

As I reported back to Mark, he does not need the \s 5 switch in all of the SEQ fields.   When I removed that switch from each of them, the captions increment properly.  You only need that switch in the first caption after a level 5 heading.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Stefan\Mark,

I believe the issue is that the \s 5 switch really acts like it is \s <= 5 as the caption where the sequence does not work follows a Heading 2 style.  For the balance of the captions, that are not preceded by a Style that is less than level 6, the sequence works OK.

The way around the problem is to use Heading 5, Heading 6, Heading 7, etc from the Appendices.

See the article "How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document" on the following page of the Late Shauna Kelly's website:

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 37 Applies to: