Multiple Styles to one List Level

Im trying to create a multilevel list which has 2 styles attached to each level but it seems impossible in word 2010. attached below is an example of what im hoping to achieve. i have managed to do it by creating the "text Level" based on the preceding heading style. however, i cant save this as a default. as when i open a new document it removes all paragraph numbering from the "Text Levels" im slowly going insane

You can't attach more than one paragraph style to each numbering level in an outline-numbered list, as you have noticed.

What you can do is base a style on a style which is part of an outline list (in the Modify Style dialog box for a style not part of a list, make use of the "Based on" box). However, after you have done that, you can't modify any aspect of the numbering for the "child" style, because doing so will break the numbering.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

thanks for the reply Stefan, that's is how i achieved the above. however once i try save this as a template or save and reopen the document, the numbering in the child paragraphs disappears.
im attempting to do this to achieve a numbering system which allows you to accurately reference text. unfortunately not all paragraphs are likely to be on the same level. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should set up the numbering and Styles in a template, making sure that you check the box for new documents based on this template for each Style before exiting from the Modify Style dialog.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How are you creating the template? It should be as simple as using File | Save As on your existing document, once you have the numbering set up correctly. Alternatively, you can create the template from scratch, starting with a new, blank document.

On the other hand, if you just want to transfer the modified styles to your current template, you should be able to use the "New documents based on this template" check box (in the Modify Style dialog box) that Doug mentions in his reply.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you set up a new template with numbering, be sure to do it for all 9 levels, even if you don't think you'll be using them. See How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in Word 2007 and Word 2010 for step-by-step instructions.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

im attempting to do this to achieve a numbering system which allows you to accurately reference text. unfortunately not all paragraphs are likely to be on the same level.

There is no contradiction here... As long as you set up numbering with one level associated with one style (see the article that Charles linked to), and one new style for each "duplicated" numbering level, it will work.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 20, 2023 Views 1,592 Applies to: