Multilevel Numbering for Numerous Appendices

Can someone please point me in the right direction; I'm sure this particular situation must have been dealt with before.

I use multilevel numbering in my document associated with styles, i.e. 1.0 Heading 1; 1.1 Heading 2; 1.1.1 Heading 3; etc.

I have also created a style for autonumbering appendix headings, e.g. APPENDIX 1 etc. For this purpose I have created a style 'Appendix Head'. The prefix 'APPENDIX' is part of the the style, in other words, I select an empty paragraph and apply the style 'Appendix Head', and the result is e.g. APPENDIX 1 for the first appendix. Is this a standard method for numbering appendices or should one rather use the 'SEQ' field for this purpose?

I now would like to autonumber the headings in the appendices to look similar (in format) to the regular document headings, although they need to be independently numbered of the document heading numbers, and include the prefix 'A-#' where 'A' denotes Appendix, and '#' denotes the appendix autonumber, for example Heading 1 of Appendix 1 should be 'A1-1', Heading 2 of Appendix 1 should be 'A1-1.1', etc. Likewise, Heading 1 of Appendix 2 should be 'A2-1', Heading 2 of Appendix 2 should be 'A2-1.1, etc.

To summarise, the document structure should look something like:

DOCUMENT

1.0 Heading 1

1.1 Heading 2

1.1.1 Heading 3

2.0 Heading 1

2.1 Heading 2

2.1.1 Heading 3

etc

APPENDIX 1

A1-1 Heading 1

A1-1.1 Heading 2

A1-1.1.1 Heading 3

etc

APPENDIX 2

A2-1 Heading 1

A2-1.1 Heading 2

A2-1.1.1 Heading 3

etc

Answer
Answer
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

See the article "How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document" on the following page of the Late Shauna Kelly's website:

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 722 Applies to: