Multilevel list styles lose indents

I have seen this happen consistently in documents but am not sure if is one of those "by desgin" things.

I define a multi level bulleted list.  No problems so far; the list looks great and indents are where I want them.  Such as below.  I have used dashes instead of bullets for the purposes of posting to this board.  I have saved this format as a style in my document.

-item 1
     -sub item 1.1
     -sub item 1.2
     -sub item 1.2
-item 2
     -sub item 2.1
     -sub item 2.2
             -sub item 2.2.1
             -sub item 2.2.2
             -sub item 2.2.3
     -sub item 2.2

Now, lets say I decide I would like to make a change to the multi-level list style.  Change the bullets, or even the indent spacing.  As soon as I touch this feature, it does save the new definition and update the style, any place in the document using this style loses all of its indenting.  The list goes left justified such as below.

-item 1
-sub item 1.1
-sub item 1.2
-sub item 1.2
-item 2
-sub item 2.1
-sub item 2.2
-sub item 2.2.1
-sub item 2.2.2
-sub item 2.2.3
-sub item 2.2

Does anyone know how and if I can avoid this behaviour?

Thanks/
Answer
Answer
Are you using the same paragraph style for all list levels?  If you modify one of the paragraph indents and then update the style, the settings for that level will apply to all levels.  Instead, adjust the indents for each level-- or change the number/bullet style-- in the define new multilevel list dialog and leave the paragraph style settings alone (zero indent). 

Better still, link each number level to a different paragraph style, such as the built-in List Bullet series for  regular text or the built-in Heading series.

You don't mention autonumbering in your post, but if that's what you want, instead of bullets, linking a different style to each number level gives more reliable results.

Pamelia Caswell

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 466 Applies to: