Multi-level list style for bullets

The rule for stable multi-level list styles has always been to assign a paragraph style to each level of the list, a rule that I have always followed when developing templates. However, I'm wondering if it really is still necessary. Here is the scenario that prompted this train of heretical thinking.

I need to create a template that has 4 numbered heading levels where each level of text is indented so that the number aligns with the start of the text of the previous level. So far nice and simple. Here is where it gets awkward. After each level I need to be able to insert a bulleted list. The bulleted list may, in turn, have up to 3 levels as pictured below in a rough example I knocked up.

So my question is:

Do I really need to create List Bullet 6 - List Bullet 12 or could I get away with creating 4 list styles with just one paragraph style attached at level 1 and then have the list style apply the further levels? Or would this, as I suspect, lead to instability?

Thanks

Answer
Answer
Since the indents are different, you need four more lists in addition to the list of headings (as you have stated). To be safe, you should set up a list style for each list and a set of unique paragraph styles for each level of the lists.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 371 Applies to: