MS WORD PAGE NUMBER ISSUES

I am having issues with inserting page numbers. I am constructing a document using a pre-existing template. Whenever I insert the page numbers, they don't line up with the actual pages. For example, pages 1-3 are fine but then it skips a page, saying that page 4 is really page 5. Then later in the document, the page numbers restart in the middle of the document. For example, page 19 of 28 turns into page 1 of 28 again. Then when I try to edit each individual page number, it changes all the page numbers. This is so annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Answer
Answer

You appear to have a document comprising multiple sections and the page numbering has been configured to restart in at least some of those sections. You could page through the sections and fix each individually, but it would probably be simpler to remove the restart using a macro and then set your page numbers to what you require them to be, if different:

Sub Macro1()
Dim oSection As Section
Dim oHeader As HeaderFooter
Dim oFooter As HeaderFooter
    For Each oSection In ActiveDocument.Sections
        For Each oHeader In oSection.Headers
            oHeader.PageNumbers.RestartNumberingAtSection = False
        Next oHeader
        For Each oFooter In oSection.Footers
            oFooter.PageNumbers.RestartNumberingAtSection = False
        Next oFooter
    Next oSection
End Sub

http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm   

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Mr. Mayor's expertise is legendary and his solutions are always astute and remarkably efficient, but the advanced protocols he uses can sail over the heads of mere mortals like you and me. Here's a tedious but simple way to solve the problem (which Mr. Mayor described perfectly in the first paragraph of his response). I've provided a lot of explanatory detail, but the procedure itself just takes a few clicks:

1. Your page numbers are probably residing in a header or footer. Go to the first page number that is misbehaving and double-click. That will open the header or footer housing the page number.
  2. Select and right-click on the offending number. From the ensuing menu, left-click on "Format Page Numbers."
  3. Toward the bottom of the ensuing "Page Number Format" dialog box, click on the radio button next to "Continue from previous section." (Someone has probably used the other choice, the "Start at" button, to force Word to use a specific number that is no longer appropriate for your document. FYI, Mr. Mayor's macro would simply cancel all those "restarts" that are messing up your file.).
  4. Click OK.
  5. When you opened the header or footer housing your page numbers (in step 1), you will have activated the "Header & Footer Tools" tab. In the ribbon atop your file, roughly in the middle of that blizzard of icons, you'll see a group called "Navigation." Click on the icon that says "Next." That will take you to the next header or footer.
  6. Repeat steps 2 through 5 until you reach the last section (you'll know because the "Next" button won't do anything). When the last number you see looks OK, and "Next" is ineffective, click on the red X labeled "Close Header & Footer" (it's at the far right of the "Header & Footer" ribbon). That will take you back to the main body of your document.

Basically, all you have done is instructed each separate section to continue the pagination from the previous section. That should eliminate the unseemly breaks in your numbering.

Word's use of sections imbues the program with a lot of power. Handled correctly, sections will let you have a cover with no page number, front matter with small roman numerals (like i, ii, iii), and main body text with numbers like 1, 2, 3 (or even 1-1, 1-2 to reflect chapter numbers). And those numbers will update dynamically, so you never have to manually change a page number. But that power and flexibility come at a price. Studying the expert replies provided by Mr. Mayor—and the other remarkable MVPs who generously contribute to this forum—is a way to keep that price low and your learning level high.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2024 Views 3,847 Applies to: