MS Word 2010 AutoText Creating and Inserting

I create many autotexts that I use all the time.  When I start to type it, it may or may not show up.  When it does show up, if I have created it at the beginning of a sentence, it will only insert and the beginning of a sentence.  If I created it in the middle of a sentence, it will only insert in the middles of a sentence, etc.  and therefore, I cannot get it to insert anywhere else.  i.e. on a label or in a form template.  In MS Word 2003, when you created it, it would insert anywhere you wanted it to.  Should the Building Block fields be different than the defaults shown?  Why doesn't this work?  I have checked my settings under File / Option / Proofing and Advanced, and the all look correct,

You can always insert an AutoText entry (a Building Block) by typing its name and then pressing F3, but I'm guessing you are trying to make use of AutoComplete? Assuming that you saved the entry in the Normal template, which your screen shot suggests, AutoComplete suggestions should work. Do note that if you included a paragraph mark in the AutoText entry, a paragraph mark will be inserted with it (even if "Insert content only" is selected in the dialog box).
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Stefan:

Yes, I do press either F3 or Enter for the autotext to populate.  However, I still continue to have problems having the autotext insert into different parts of a paragraph, page, form or on a label.  It will not show - this is the issue that I have found no soultion on.  The screen shot I included in my question is exactly how it is saved when created.  And yes, I know about the paragraph mark issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

AutoText must be saved in templates. If you are using the F3 key, it really doesn't matter whether it is in the normal template or elsewhere, so long as the template is attached or loaded as a global.

Try a screenshot showing, perhaps in the same page, the original text used to create the AT entry and what gets inserted. Please turn on display of non-printing formatting marks before you make the screenshot.

Automated Boilerplate Using Microsoft Word

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 152 Applies to: