Microsoft Word for Mac 2011 Error Message: "there is insufficient memory or disk space. close extra windows and save your work"

Hello I am hoping someone else has heard or knows something about this.  I tried Googling this error message but it usually pertains to someone trying to save a file or copy and pasting.  This is neither of those.

I have:

Microsoft Word for Mac 2011

Version 14.2.9

All updates made

My computer is:

iMac 

Late 2012

2.9 Ghz Intel Core i5

8GB 1600MHz DDR3

I currently have 1.11 TB of memory Free which is more then enough

This issue has never happened and only started today.

I opened up Microsoft Word.  Opened a blank document.  Went to "Format" and then "Paragraph" and this message came up:

"there is insufficient memory or disk space. close extra windows and save your work"

I had no other documents open in Word and no other applications open on my Desktop.  I tried restarting Word and the computer and the same thing happened again.

Any ideas?

Answer
Answer

I recently had this "insufficient memory" problem too while trying to attach a file I had just worked on and wanted to attach to this email and while searching for the answer, I found what worked for me (and what had recently worked on another file. I had momentarily forgotten that! What I did was reply "NO" to saving the file as a temp file and I just renamed my file. Then I was able to close it, open it again, attach it and such.

I also have plenty of memory so had no clue as to why Word was acting this way. I have all updated Word and also all OS updated on my Mac. Hope this might work for you or for others.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 4,552 Applies to: