Microsoft Word documents no longer working

The Microsoft Office 2010 was pre-installed on my new computer, I've had this computer for almost three years. After an automatic upgrade last week, the Word documents I already had now no longer works. I can still create new Word documents. Is there any way to retrieve the docs I already have? Thanks
The work around should be to simply use the File > Open dialog inside word to open existing documents.

This is a common problem after the Sept Windows Updates.

Try doing an Office Repair of your Office 2010 installation.  When you are in Programs and Features, look for a "Office Word 2010" entry. Some people have reported that uninstalling it help.  If you do uninstall it, do the Office Repair of your Office 2010 installation AFTER the uninstall.

Repair or Uninstall Office 2013 / 2010 / 2007

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repair-or-remove-office-2010-HA010357402.aspx?CTT=1

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/ms-office-tips/fix-microsoft-word-has-stopped-working/comment-page-1/#comment-83759

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your response. I was able to access these documents by using the shortcut you suggested, and later by clicking on the document, right clicking. And selecting open with Microsoft office Client Virtualization Handler. When I selected that, some of the other docs worked as well. It seems to be okay now. If I have other issues, I will uninstall as you've suggested. Thanks again, 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 183 Applies to: