Microsoft Word 2010 - Trying to create Avery Label 5195 merging Excel DB Information Automerge error plus...

Hello everyone,

I'm using Microsoft Word 2010 - Trying to create Avery Label 5195 merging Excel DB Information Automerge error plus...

Merging DB information seems so easy and yet it is not importing the DB information correctly.  (i.e. Creates an Automerge field and will not import dollar amounts with $ sign and decimal setup correctly.  It inputs the amount, such as 3.95, but then adds 00000000000002 to the end of it to show 3.9500000000000002.  Have tried it several times with the same outcome.

Does anyone know how to fix this, or is it a bug in the software?  The merge process seems pretty cut and dry, so I'm not sure what to do here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary Callahan

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website at

http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Doug,

Thank you sir!  Why would this process be made so complicated, when it was so simple before?  Too bad.

Anyway, I decided to go with the online site for Avery.  I have ongoing labels being printed daily.  Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Gary

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The method used by Word has not changed for the last 15+years.  Perhaps you previously connected to your data source using the DDE method, which you can still do by going to File>Options>Advanced and scroll down to the General section of the dialog and check the box for Confirm file format conversion on open.  Then when you attach the data source to the mail merge main document, check the Show All box and then select the DDE method of connecting.
Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Doug,

Thanks for the input.  I used the DDE method.  It worked for about 4 sheets of labels and when I tried t do the 5th merge, the name range that I create no longer shows up.  I went in and selected the range again renamed it, to no avail, still doesn't show up.

Also, is it possible to create this merge, format it, save it, and then just replace recipent range each time, since I use the same label format each time.

Thanks again for helping me work through this matter...Gary

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update:  It is not showing the names defined in a singled out tab in the workbook...the names in other tabs are working correctly.

Thanks...Gary

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think that you are asking is it possible to change the data source each time.  As long as the names of the merge fields are the same, then yes, that can be done.

Note that the DDE method of connecting to a data source probably pre-dates multi-sheet workbooks and hence the possibility of the issues that you are encountering.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 2,487 Applies to: