Microsoft word 2010 starter not automatically opening default files right- also broken "Microsoft Application Virtualization DDE Launcher" file

I bought my computer from a Toshiba shop and it came with Microsoft Office Starter 2010 on it pre-installed.

I can't find Microsoft 2010 Starter in my programs folder or Start Menu. I have to use Word by opening a shortcut on my desktop or start bar and then using 'File, open... etc' rather than just clicking on my file and it choosing Microsoft automatically. 

I've tried (from Programs and Features in my control panel) to 'Change' "Microsoft Office Starter 2010" to repair it, and then right clicking my file to 'Open with...' to change the default to Microsoft word but there isn't a "Microsoft Application Virtualization DDE Launcher" to set it as the default launcher with. When I use the Search bar tool in Windows Explorer to find the file I find a file but when clicked it comes up with:

"The Application Visualisation Client could not launch the application you requested. An unexpected error occured. Please report the following error to your System administrator. Error code: *random numbers and letters*"

I'm a student so I'm too broke to afford full Microsoft so this Starter Version is necessary, and without going onto the Short-cuts on Desktop or Start Bar I can't access my files or Microsoft itself.

Please Help! Thankyou :)

fyi- I don't know if this is relevant to helping me but the source of the desktop and Start Bar file that I can't find anywhere else is ""C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\VIRTUA~1"  

Answer
Answer
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 847 Applies to: