Microsoft Word 2010 documents turned into Microsoft Office files that I can't open?

All of my Word documents have somehow changed to Microsoft Office files that I can't open. When I try to open my documents, the Microsoft Office window pops up, saying "The Microsoft Office product necessary to open this file is not installed on your computer" and doesn't allow me to open them. When I try to open/save important documents onto my computer from the internet, I also get the same Windows Office popup. The little blue paper with the "W" has changed to an orange sheet of paper, and instead of saying "Rich Text Format" under the file type, they all say "DOCX File."

I would really appreciate help to solve this problem as soon as possible, as all of these documents are very important for school. Thank you so much in advance. 
All of my Word documents have somehow changed to Microsoft Office files that I can't open. When I try to open my documents, the Microsoft Office window pops up, saying "The Microsoft Office product necessary to open this file is not installed on your computer" and doesn't allow me to open them. When I try to open/save important documents onto my computer from the internet, I also get the same Windows Office popup. The little blue paper with the "W" has changed to an orange sheet of paper, and instead of saying "Rich Text Format" under the file type, they all say "DOCX File."

I would really appreciate help to solve this problem as soon as possible, as all of these documents are very important for school. Thank you so much in advance. 
=======================================
Sounds like you need to change your file associations
for those documents to Microsoft Word:

See the following article:

Windows 7 - Change which programs Windows uses by default
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-which-programs-Windows-uses-by-default

.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

There is a problem that is apparently affecting many users after recent Office updates. Please see Suzanne's discussion here:

Unable to open Word files after September 2013 update   .

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 267 Applies to: