Microsoft Word 2010 Backspace Doesn't Change List Level

Hi,

I have been using bullets and levels on MS Word 2010 for quite some time. In the past, tab would intent and go lower in the list level when using bullets (i.e. from level 1 to level 2). Similarly, backspace would go back one level (i.e. level 2 to level 1) which was very convenient.

Today, for some reason, the backspace function has stopped working. Instead, the "enter" key now performs the function that my backspace key used to perform. (Tab works just fine). I wanted to know if there was a way to go back to the backspace function I used before since I am accustomed to that.

I tried going into Word options and unchecking/rechecking the "Set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces" option but that did not solve the issue.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Pressing Enter repeatedly in a multilevel list "outdents" the list one level at a time; this is new behavior in Word 2007 (or possibly in Word 2010) and later.

You should try a different keyboard to ensure that some keys aren't damaged.

In the meantime, you can use Alt+Shift+Left arrow for demoting, and Alt+Shift+Right arrow for promoting, list levels.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Pressing Enter repeatedly in a multilevel list "outdents" the list one level at a time; this is new behavior in Word 2007 (or possibly in Word 2010) and later.

You should try a different keyboard to ensure that the Delete key isn't damaged.

In the meantime, you can use Alt+Shift+Left arrow for demoting, and Alt+Shift+Right arrow for promoting, list levels.

Thanks. The delete key is indeed not damaged but the problem I am experiencing is not with the delete function - it is with the backspace key.

Is there any way to make "outdents" from the backspace key? This is what I had been using (even earlier today I had that and just now it switched to the enter key)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to File>Options>Proofing>AutoCorrect Options and on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of the AutoCorrect dialog and check the box for "Set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces".
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried using Shift+Tab for promoting list items? It should work when the option you mentioned ("Set left and first indent with tabs and backspaces") is selected on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of the AutoCorrect dialog box.

Note that promoting/demoting doesn't work for the first item in a numbered list; you have to press Enter to create an additional item.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Stefan, I am having the same problem as the original poster.  What I don't understand is how you can possibly write an answer to his question without answering his question at all.  He asked why the enter key suddenly replaced the function of the backspace key for manipulating the list level in a word document, and he wants to know how to reset it to the backspace key.  His backspace key works just fine.  So does all his other keys.  There is nothing wrong with his keyboard.  The problem is with Microsoft Word changing its keyboard function and having no easy or clear way to assign keyboard function.  Please answer the question properly or admit you do not understand how to fix the problem. 

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Doug Robbins, one would think your suggestion would resolve the problem, but it doesn't.  I went to that exact screen and the box was already checked.  And yet, it is still the enter key, and not the back space key, that manipulates the list level backward.  We want to know how to specifically ensure that it will be the backspace key to perform this function. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Doug Robbins, one would think your suggestion would resolve the problem, but it doesn't.  I went to that exact screen and the box was already checked.  And yet, it is still the enter key, and not the back space key, that manipulates the list level backward.  We want to know how to specifically ensure that it will be the backspace key to perform this function. 

You are correct - that did not work.

I did however, resolve this:

Add or remove programs & then select repair for microsoft office. it will take a couple minutes and restart and it should work fine. That's what I did and it's been working again (such a relief!)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Stefan, I am having the same problem as the original poster.  What I don't understand is how you can possibly write an answer to his question without answering his question at all.  He asked why the enter key suddenly replaced the function of the backspace key for manipulating the list level in a word document, and he wants to know how to reset it to the backspace key.  His backspace key works just fine.  So does all his other keys.  There is nothing wrong with his keyboard.  The problem is with Microsoft Word changing its keyboard function and having no easy or clear way to assign keyboard function.  Please answer the question properly or admit you do not understand how to fix the problem. 

When I reply to a question I obviously make use of my own experience. The behavior I described is what I see on my system. If it doesn't work for someone else, I have to suggest possible causes.

Since the original poster has now returned to the thread saying that repairing Office fixed the problem, all is well.

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

JC447, thank you so much for posting this response. I was having the same problems as you, with the tab-backspace function randomly giving out on me, when I was using it literally all day to type out an outline. Then all of a sudden, function gone.. it would just delete the new row's bullet instead of indenting it backward. 

Going to Add or remove programs & repairing microsoft office does the trick every time to fix the issue, but it just keeps happening over and over. (maybe once every 3 days) where I have to go back and hit repair again.

This is really starting to become a hassle because every time I do that, it wipes all of my printer settings, etc. that I have to go back and re-tweak each time. 

If anyone can shed some light or insight I would really appreciate it. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you create a multilevel list? Is the option mentioned earlier in this thread ("Set left and first indent with tabs and backspaces" in the AutoCorrect dialog box) selected?

Also, note that Tab and Shift+Tab can't be used for the first level of a multilevel list.

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 30, 2023 Views 11,040 Applies to: