Matching Created and Last Modified times, but 75 mins editing time - how?

I'm examining a Word 2010 document and noted it has some odd metadata, which I cannot explain.

The Created date and time is exactly the same as the Last Modified date and time, but the document is being reported as edited for 75 minutes. How could this have happened? The Last Modified time is roughly when work on the document finished. If the document was saved with a new filename when work on it was finished, this would have created a new document which has matching Created and Last Modified time stamps, but the Total Editing Time would be zero.

Total Editing Time 75 minutes
Last Modified 01/08/13 15:35
Created 01/08/13 15:35

Does anyone know how the Total Editing Time is calculated which can explain this? Isn't Total Editing Time only recorded when you save. If you close a document without saving, it keeps the Editing time since the last save?

Did you create the file or was the file sent to you via email?

Is the file shared?

How long did you take to create the file?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Did you create the file or was the file sent to you via email?

Is the file shared?

How long did you take to create the file?

I received the email via email. I didn't create it myself. The document should have been authored by a single person. The maximum time available to work on the file was 3 hours, so I would not expect it to report back that it had been edited for longer than that.

I am interested in understanding how Word documents create and record this metadata, so I can provide an explanation for that which is recorded in this particular document. It is pretty puzzling and I have not found a way I can replicate it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Total Editing Time is only updated when the document is saved, and for the Creation time and Last Saved time to be the same, it implies that no time has been spent on editing the file - so editing time should be zero.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone have any suggestions on what might have happened to the document to collect this metadata? In my own tests, I found that Total Editing Time is zeroed when using Save As to create a new document. I didn't notice Copying and Pasting text into a document bringing its editing time with it. The editing time remained as for the target document.

Should tests include handling documents by different authors, and saving across different disks? Would that make any difference?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone have any suggestions on what might have happened to the document to collect this metadata? In my own tests, I found that Total Editing Time is zeroed when using Save As to create a new document. I didn't notice Copying and Pasting text into a document bringing its editing time with it. The editing time remained as for the target document.

Should tests include handling documents by different authors, and saving across different disks? Would that make any difference?

This might happen because the dialog box after pressing  'save as' button, before pushing the save button, was left open for the particular amount of time which was reflected in total editing time however the last modified time and created time was identical because of save as operation.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 16, 2023 Views 1,576 Applies to: