Main index entries repeating

I have a lengthy index. Most of it is fine. A couple sections are repeating the main entry above each sub-entry. To trouble shoot the problem, I created an simple index entry in a different color, basic body text style, and pasted it on four different pages. Four page numbers should have come up (in red) for the main and identical subheadings. Instead, I have four separate entries.

I am posting my problem under Dydoria's question because I hoped by pursuing how to do it, I could undo it.

What I discovered is the problematic index sections are listing by page number rather than alphabetically. There is no code in the entry to define that. If there could be a hidden code or keystroke somewhere else in the document, I need to know what it is so I can look for it and eliminate it.

By the way, these sections worked once, then went haywire as described above.

[Split from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/how-to-create-an-index-in-a-ms-word-2010-document/0e17f537-cb89-40b8-9e95-34cb3fe25cb6]

Can you upload the file and provide the link so that i can check into it.
If you find my answer helpful, please mark it as Answer:)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you, Gary. Here's a link: Click here to view.

Problematic sections are Agriculture and Schools. Agriculture is listing entries in page number order. I can't find anything between pages 5 (indexed correctly) and 6 (indexed with repeating heading in numerical order) to indicate a reason for this.

Both of these categories were previously indexed correctly. Trails *used to be* messed up in the same way, but is now correct. In fact, I corrected only about 5 the other day, through cut and paste then edit, and they all "fell into shape."

I just performed a test to see whether there's a hidden code in the text in the School section. Rather than copying and pasting a correct index entry (from p. 5), I went to a new place in the book, page 300, and created another alternate entry: { XE "School:Test" } in green. Same thing--it shows up in numerical order.

Homesteaders and Medical are also broken. Creeks--each section I've checked that repeats headers presents entries in page number order--something I've read on the Internet cannot be done (someone wanted to do it and was told she'd have to create a TOC instead.) All used to be correct.

Did I mention this computer and office installation are only a couple months old? Otherwise, I would call it a corrupt file and start over. Thanks for any and all help -- and for your quick response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a bit late, I know, but I just spent ages banging my head against the wall with the same problem, only to discover the source of my headache was an extra space character before one of the main index entries. In other words, I had one entered as " Formula" (leading space) and several dozen as "Formula" (no space). Deleting the space from that one entry quite unexpectedly fixed the problem!

I've had following spaces create separate index entries before, but always just two groups, with/without. I don't know why having the space at the beginning broke all of the 'space-free' main entries into individual entries...

It may not be the solution for your file, but perhaps a search for XE " School is worth a try, at least?

Good luck!

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2024 Views 474 Applies to: