mailmerge multiple rows to 1 recipient

Hi all,

I'm looking for some assistance.  I have Word 2010, Outlook 2010, and Excel 2010.

I have a table in Excel with 500+ rows of data.  Each row has a recipient email address.  Some rows have the same recipient email address.

I need to create a mailmerge document that combines multiple rows of data to one recipient to end out as an email.  Utliizing the Directory option in the mailmerge toolbar, I've succeeded in doing this in creating a mailmerge physical document that has multiple rows of data per recipient (that takes 500 pages down to 210), however the physical form does me no good.

I'm in an office that doesn't allow for downloading and installing of any plugins, which leaves me to vba (of which my skills in that area is limited).

I've found and used the tutorial that macropod generated, however I am having issues with the macros to generate the emails...they error out. 

Please help; been stuck on this for a couple of weeks now, trying my hand at it as often as time allows.

Thank you all in advance. 

Sincerely,

Dusty615

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Are you perhaps able to purchase additional software? You are trying to reinvent a rather complex wheel here.

I would guess that Graham or Doug might be willing to sell (and support) their Add-Ins as a commercial product.

Many to One mail merge add-in
Merge Tools - SkyDrive

I assume you are talking about Paul Edstein (Macropod)'s page on the Office Watch.
Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In response to your assumption, yes; and I got through alot of what Paul did.  However, when it came to the "Merge to Email" subset of his instructions, all progress ended. 

Paul did a great job, and got me alot further than I would've done otherwise.  Unfortunately, his instructions got a fuzzy for me at the point of Merging to Email and the macros errored out when I tried to run them. 

Anyone on here successful in his tutorial that may be able to shed some light?

Part of his instructional says "...and a field for the data («Data»)" (pg 22).  Any ideas where that field comes from?  It's not a listed field in the "Insert Merge Field" dropdown ("Mailings" ribbon menu).  Do I need to add that to my source excel file so it becomes a bound field, or is do I add it as an unbound field?  I've tried doing both a bound and unbound; results are errors.

Thank you in advance,

Dusty615

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would recommend that you make use of the Many to One facility on the MergeTools – 20130627 Add-in that I created from the following page of my Windows Live SkyDrive:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5aedcb43615e886b#!/?cid=5AEDCB43615E886B!cid=5AEDCB43615E886B&id=5AEDCB43615E886B%21566

Save the file in the Word Startup folder.  In Windows XP the default location for that folder is

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

When you have done that, the tab shown below will be added to the Ribbon:

One thing to note is that the field names in your data source must contain only alphanumeric characters (No @,#,$,%,&,(,), etc) and the field names must not start with a numeric character (0-9).

Also download the Using the Many to One Facility document that describes how to use that facility.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Doug, I would LOVE -- absolutely LOVE -- to use your add-in.  Unfortunately, my IT dept has these boxes locked down tighter than the vault at Ft Knox.

I need to go semi-manual on this...meaning try to build up the tool from scratch, or it's spending hours a day sending emails. 

Any help I can get with the tutorial, or any other advice?

Thanks guys.

Dusty615

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I doubt that they do.

In Word, if you go to File>Options>Advanced>File Locations and select the Startup item and then click on Modify, when the Modify Location dialolg appears, you can paste into it.

Alternatively, you can modify the location for the Startup folder to a folder to which you have write access.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't have write access to the folder you mentioned (C drive is locked out), so I did as you said in the last post.  I had success with that, thank you!

And there it is --

:-)

Thank you very much Doug! 

The tool looks great on the toolbar, but I'm back to where I started in that it appears this tool is specific for Letter type mail merge documents.  I need to email this out; I don't want to print them.  How do I use this tool to merge a many-to-one as an email document?

Just for giggles, I also switched the form to a letter form to try the Many to One button; got this error:

"The data source must be an Excel Spreadsheet."  The data source is a spreadsheet.  Not sure why I'm getting that error. 

Doug, I'd like to use the tool to Merge to Email.  Is it possible? 

If not,  can anyone help me with the tutorial that Macropod put together?  I'm stuck at the "Merge to Email" section of his tutorial. 

Please assist. 

Thank you,

Dusty615

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

While you must start with a letter type mail merge main document to which you have an Excel data source attached, the facility can be used to "mail merge" to:

Individual Word Documents

Individual PDF Documents

To the body of an email message

To an email message with the "merged" document attached as a Word document

To an email message with the "merged" document attached as a PDF document

After changing the type of the mail merge main document, you probably need to re-attach the data source.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Doug, and everyone else, for your assistance.

I confirmed the datasource as attached after the changeover to the Letter format.

I've decided to shut this one down and go vba directly from Excel to Outlook.  I've gotten that to work

(for those that would like to go that route, here are the resources I used:

part 1:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff458119(office.11).aspx

part 2:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff519602(office.11).aspx

Unfortunately, the link for adding Outlook signatures listed in part2 is a dead link, and I will be researching how to do that. 

**update: I have found how do the signature as well.** 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8994116/how-to-add-default-signature-in-outlook

Best wishes to everyone.

Dusty615

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have done so, and the tab appears in the Ribbon for that document, but it does not appear when I open a new document.

Is there a way to keep it on my Ribbon without having to open up that document in the STARTUP file everytime?

Thanks in advance!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you re-start Word after saving the file in the Word Startup Folder?

If you go to the Developer tab and click on Document Template to open the Templates and Add-ins dialog, is the Merge Tools - 20130627.dotm listed?  If it does not have a tick mark against it, click on the check box to load it.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 49,003 Applies to: