Mail Merge won't print signature

I have this same issue in both Word 2010 and 2013.  I create a letter, select the recipients list, insert the fields where they need to be and then click Finish & Merge > Print Documents.  Everything prints except for my boss's signature which he did using a tablet PC pen.  If I just do a normal print (File > Print), then it prints fine.  Other images print fine.  What I have to do is to instead of using the Finish & Merge > Print Documents, I have to use the Edit Individual Documents.  If it is a large project (3300 records), then this step takes about an hour on my high performance computer and I had to cancel sending the job to the printer after 20 minutes of Not Responding....  So I had to do this in 100 record batches.  I would really like to figure out how to just use the Print Documents option as it can handle 3300 records no problem and is much easier.

I have the following options checked in the Printing options section of Word Options:  

Print drawings created in Word

Print background colors and images

Print hidden text

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

How is the signature inserted into the document?

Does the merge document itself print OK?

Set Word not to print in background mode and you may have more success.

If the data is Excel, see if you fare any better with http://www.gmayor.com/ManyToOne.htm  in One to One mode. This uses a different process from mail merge. If the merge document prints OK, then so should this.

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The signature is written directly on the document using the tablet PC and the stylus "Pen".  The rest of the document prints fine including the merged fields.  I just tried printing it with the Print in Background Mode turned off and there was no change.  The data is in Excel.  I'll check out the link and let you know what happens.  Thanks.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Many To One add-in did work in that it printed the signature, but it requires the use of a primary key field which I almost never have, so its not a good solution for me.  It also doesn't allow the pound sign (#) in the data and this is found in my data.  Is there some setting in Word that will allow me to just use the built in mail merge?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When used in one to one mode, you can use any field as the key field that does not have the same data in consecutive records in the chosen field. The process creates a new document every time the record value in the 'key' field changes.

The hash sign '#' however cannot be used in the data as it is used in the process. If you really want a pound sign "£" then that can be used. # is often used to represent 'No.' or 'Number'. In such a case use 'No.'  instead.

Without examining the document I cannot determine why it does not work when merged conventionally. Clearly there is some issue with the graphic. You could try saving as Word 97-2003 DOC format as this uses a different graphics engine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You might try the Merge to Individual Documents utility on the MergeTools – 20140218.dotm Add-in that I created that can be downloaded from the following page of my One Drive:

http://bit.ly/1hduSCB

I don't think that it has an issue with the # character being used in the data (as distinct from in the name of one or more of the fields in the data source).

The file needs to be saved in the Word Startup folder.  In Windows XP the default location for that folder is

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

In Windows Vista and Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 it is

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

When that has been done and Word is started\re-started, the tab shown below will be added to the Ribbon:

One thing to note is that the field names in the data source must contain only alphanumeric characters (No @,#,$,%,&,(,), etc) and the field names must not start with a numeric character (0-9).

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oddly enough I can't remember why I excluded '#' from the data. It appears to work well enough without on files I have tested recently, so if the OP wants a copy of the add-in without this trap, I can let him have one.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't get it to work.  I get error 5941 "The requested member of the collection does not exist."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you can do it so that having the '#' in the data (not in the field names) is not a problem, then I could possibly make it so that my data would have a PK field and get your add-in to work for me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Were you using the Many To One or the Merge to Individual Docs facility?
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can substitute https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57986755/ManyToOneMailMerge%20Ver%208.3.dotm for the version in the zip file on my web site. This one doesn't have the # check. Do however see the readme in the ZIP from my web site.

# in the field names is less important as that is trapped by the add-in.

You probably don't need a special key field. You just need to declare any field that doesn't have the same data in consecutive records as the key. The fact that the field may have the same data later in the column doesn't matter.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2024 Views 2,370 Applies to: