Mail Merge Document Dropping Record at Page Breaks

I created a mail merge document with a datasource exported field headers from our student data software package. The document is then created using the field headers from this datasource and is uploaded into the software package as template.  When running the merge template the document keeps dropping a record at each page break. I have reduced the number of record placements per page and even have added a forced page break but still have the same problem with a record being dropped when the next page is created.  The only solution I was able to come up with was create the merge document with fields placed on the number of pages the document would have in the in end i.e. a 37 page merge template.  When using this method all the records are merged correctly however it takes an extremely long time to get the merge template run.  

Can you give me any suggestions on how to get a template to merge without losing data?  This is a student directory so it was easy to noticed who was missing after the merge completed.  

Thanks.
It sounds as though you have a Next Record field inappropriately inserted.

If you are merging several 'documents' to a page then you should set up a single document and change the merge document type to Directory/Catalog.

If you are merging one 'document' per page, then you should set this up as a Letter merge document.

Neither requires a Next Record field.

If you are trying to create a 'many to one' merge document i.e. data from several records relating to a key field, then Word cannot readily do this. Instead see http://www.gmayor.com/ManyToOne.htm  
Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Did you ever actually SOLVE this.  I'm having the same problem too.
Trying to use a Microsoft Excel document with almost 1000 records, into a report by creating my own label format (one label per line).  Each page break I loose a record.
I do not feel good about adding a 3rd party add in
did anyone actually get this to work without loosing records?
Rosemary

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have a «Next Record» or { Next } field before the mergefields in the first label on the sheet, delete it.  Or, if you have those fields after the mergefields in each label on the sheet, and you have one after the mergefields in the last label on the sheet, delete it.

If you cannot sort it out by either of the above, send me a copy of the mail merge main document and I will look at it.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

34 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi I have a similar problem when merging fields into a letter template. I drop TWO records when moving to the next page. I do not use next record or next BUT do use nested NEXTIF . Does anyone know if there is a similar issue with NEXTIF ? Is there workaround or FIX ?

Rgds eddie george

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What's the purpose of the NEXTIF?

What is it that you are trying to do?

If you send me a copy of the mail merge main document and the data source, referencing this thread in the covering email message, I will investigate the issue.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2024 Views 3,967 Applies to: