Loosing macros when copying Macro Enabled Document via swap drive from one PC to another PC

Hello,

I have a locked Word Form that contains a series of macros.  I have saved the file as a Macro Enabled Template.

I created a new document based upon the template.  I saved the document I created as a Macro Enabled Document. 

I copied the Macro Enabled Document onto a swap drive and then copied the Macro Enabled Document from the swap drive onto a laptop computer. 

When I open the document on the laptop, all the macros are gone.

The macro security settings on both computers are set to "Disable all macros with notification."  When I opened the file on the Laptop, I did not see the usual security warning asking we If I want to "Enable Content".

Any ideas on trouble shooting this issue will be appreciated.

Thank you

Mark

Answer
Answer

If you create a new document based on a template, while the document is used on the machine that contains the template from which it was created, the macros in the template will be available to it.  However, when you copy the document and place it on another computer that does not have the template from which the document was created available in the same path as on the original computer, it is the Normal.dotm template on that other computer that will be attached to the document and the macros are no longer available to the document.

To do what you want, you would need to use File>Open to open the template and then save it as a docm file.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,081 Applies to: