Locking chart additions in Word

I frequently import charts to Word and then add trend lines or text boxes. How can one then lock the additions so the chart can be shrunk or enlarged with the additions staying in correct relation to the original?
Answer
Answer

I'd suggest the following, based on what the real experts on this forum have taught me:

1. Right-click on your chart.
  2. From the resulting menu, choose Wrap Text, then pick any wrap mode except "In Line with Text."
  3. Draw your lines, text boxes, whatever. (Lines and inserted text boxes may disappear behind your chart, but you can bring them to the front by using the Selection Pane to select them, and clicking "Bring to Front" from the right-click menu.)
  4. Select the chart with a single click, then Shift+click each additional item you wish to group.
  5. Click on the Drawing Tools>Format tab.
  6. Click on the Group button and select Group.

I believe the default mode, at least with inserted Excel charts, is "In line with text." That puts them on the same layer as your text (duh!); all of your drawing objects (lines, squiggles, text boxes, etc.) are going onto the drawing layer. You can't group across those layers. By selecting a wrap style other than "In line with text" (square, tight, in front of text, behind text, whatever) you will put your chart on the drawing layer. Then it can be grouped with your drawn additions (including text boxes), and the whole mess can be sized, moved, copied, or deleted in one fell swoop.

Hope this helps!

-Phil

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 29, 2024 Views 4,305 Applies to: