ListNum field keeps reverting to default numbering style.

I need the ability to number my examples like this:

(1) blah-blah-blah

And to refer to them without parentheses. So I autonumber them by inserting a listnum field with following code:

LISTNUM NumberDefault \l 1 

This creates numbering with default numbering style, which is number+parenthesis. What I did in Word 2003 is right-click on the field and change its numbering style to the one that suit my purpose.

Now in Word 2010, the same trick updates the numbering style of these fields, but then, after saving and reopening, it reverts the field to default. The problem goes away if I save the document in .doc rather than .docx, so I suspect it's the issue of how the information is stored in .docx files.

My question is: is there anything that would prevent .docx file from reverting the numbering style to default?

Alternatively, is there a way to make non-parenthesized numbering style default for listnum?

PS: just so you know, I did my homework:

• "Automatically update document styles" is turned off;
  • I tried removing Normal template and trying the numbering anew - same issue persists
I can easily reproduce what you describe, also in Word 2013. It seems as if editing the LISTNUM field isn't supported in the new file format. You've already found a workaround—keep the document in *.doc format.

Alternatively, set up a list style with the format that you want. See http://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html. Note that you the article makes use of the built-in headings, but you can use any set of nine paragraph styles when setting up the multilevel list.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The only problem with keeping my documents in .doc is the size, but I'm doing it for now.

Why defining a list style doesn't work is because there is no way to define a numbering style that would have a parenthesis with the example, but for which the cross-reference would not. It's either both or neither, and I need to be able to do this:

(1) a. Blah

b. Blah-blah

In example (1a)...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Assuming that there are no "intervening" lists, you can combine a list style (in the desired format) with LISTNUM fields where you do not specify a list name.

But maybe I'm missing something, because it seems to me that the the problem with separators would arise even with LISTNUM fields?

For full control over numbering, you could try SEQ fields. These are sequential, but you can create one sequence for each numbering level of your list.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are intervening lists (headers, but others as well).

With listnum fields, there is no separator problem if I change the style of listnum field to bare number and then insert it between 2 manually typed parentheses - then crossreference will have the bare number. The problem arises precisely because Word 2010 doesn't let me change the LISTNUM style from #) to #, so the crossreference is always #).

Re SEQ: is there a way to crossreference them without manually typing in a bookmark? With 500 examples in my dissertation, I'm less than keen to try that.

And I guess, the same problem is with AUTONUM - no automatic way to crossreference.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So you are customizing the LISTNUM to remove the separators around the numbers? You can do that with any multilevel list via the multilevel list dialog box. If you created a list style, just right-click it in the "List Styles" gallery at Home tab | Multilevel List and choose Modify. If you created a multilevel list without styles, place the insertion point in the first level 1 item and click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List (indeed, "define new" is misleading, but that is the command you should use).
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Of course, I tried that. The problem is, when defining a multilevel list, if your style is (#) - then the example is numbered well, but then crossreference has parentheses. If, on the other hand, your style is #, w/out parentheses, then there is no way to add them in the example - unless I'm missing smth.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, you mean that you can add punctuation manually when using LISTNUM, but not with paragraph numbering. Good point.

It seems to me as if saving in *.doc format is the best fix right now.

You can experiment with SEQ fields and see if you want to use them in the future. To answer your direct question on cross-referencing SEQ fields: You have to add bookmarks manually before cross-referencing them.

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Thanks anyway!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2024 Views 2,671 Applies to: