Linking Word & Excel

Hello,

I am attempting to link microsoft word and excel and fix the links so they update relatively. I understand that if you do a paste special (with links) from microsoft excel to word, the link will have the file path name, cell information, etc, etc. When I hit alt+F9 in Word, i understand that i can alter these links (delete the path name, and only keep the file name) so that it becomes a temporary relative path to the excel document until i move the excel and word file into a new folder location (at which point it updates with the correct location of the current folder it is in, and still is picking up the new excel file). This process only works with a paste special with the 'formatted text' and the 'unformatted text' option. If i use the 'Excel objects' option to paste special a table, the link will not update when i move it to another folder. 

I understand this is kind of confusing to explain, but im just curious why 'Excel objects' does not maintain this relative temporary link after copying it to another folder. 

Thank in advance.

To see how to implement relative paths for LINK fields in Word, check out the macro solution I've posted in the attachment at:
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 597 Applies to: