Limitations of styles and unwanted format changes

My document has hundreds of tables in dozens of different formats. A style can handle only a very limited number of features - for example suppose the first word(s) are in bold and the rest of the sentence is not bold. I don't think I can assign a style to the bold part and another style to the not-bold part. When I write the docx out and read it in, the style (apparently) is reapplied, switching the table to all bold or all not-bold. This is extremely annoying. Also line spacing irregularities are reapplied, causing unwanted format changes. This sucks. What is the best way to handle this? Why isn't there a style that says "Don't change the format?" (Restricting editing allows formats to change.)

Steve
Answer
Answer
If "write the docx out and read it in" means save, close, and reopen the file, the cause of the changes is probably the Automatically update document styles setting in the Templates and Add-ins dialog. Turn it off by clearing the check box.   By default in Word, that check box is empty and  prevents the kinds of changes you are experiencing. 
Pamelia Caswell

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 143 Applies to: