Large white border on custom paper

I'm having trouble printing from Word and would appreciate if anyone can help me! Having set a Word document to print on a custom-sized paper a thick white border, about 2cm deep, appears at the top and the bottom of the document. The document is the same size as the custom paper. The border isn't affected by changing the margin sizes and there is no guttering. If I convert the document into pdf than the white border can be removed by choosing the "fit" option and it prints normally as a "fit" pdf. The printer manufacturer, Canon, says it is a Microsoft issue rather than an issue with the printer. Any help much appreciated!
Answer
Answer
Note that most printers have a nonprinting area. To find out which margins are accepted for your default printer, do the following: Exit and restart Word (easiest way to get back to the default printer, in case you selected a different one recently, for the current Word session). Display the Page Setup dialog box, for example by double-clicking the upper part of the horizontal ruler. On the Margins tab, set all margins to zero. Click OK. If the printer doesn't support zero margins, Word will present an error message offering to "fix" the margins. Choose to do so and you'll see the smallest possible top, bottom, right, and left margins for the printer.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 214 Applies to: