Label mail merge, keeps skipping every 8th record. Removing <<Next Record>> from last field does not help

MS Word 2010: 
I am doing a mail merge with labels. 
  • There are 8 labels on a page. I have set up the mail merge document and inserted all necessary mail merge fields in the first label in the upper left-hand corner. 
  • Using "update all labels" I have filled out the rest of the page. 
  • It does NOT say <Next Record> for the first label, only for the other 7 labels on the page that were automatically filled out using "update all labels", followed by my merge fields. 
  • The preview seems fine. But when doing the actual merge, it skips records, 8, 16, 24 and so on; "A Field Calculation Error Occurred in record xx".
 Many have said to remove <Next Record> from the last label on the page. However, when I do that it just skips record 7, 14, 21 and so on.

What am I doing wrong?

As often with mailings, I am sort of in a hurry... I hope someone can help. Please?
Answer
Answer

Your set up sounds correct.  Does the information from the 9th record appear in place of that for the 8th record on the last label on the sheet?

Try using the data source for a Directory type mail merge in which you insert the merge fields into the cells of a one row table.  When you execute that merge to a new document, that document should contain a table with a row of data for each record in the data source.  If it does, insert a row at the top of the table and into that row, type the names of the merge fields and then save that document and try using it as the data source for creating your labels.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2024 Views 5,736 Applies to: