Keeping text and graphics together

Hi, I'm a very occasional user of MS Word (2010) and I'm trying to write a user guide for the Access database I've developed. My problem is that the graphics elements (arrows from words in my text to screen prints) are sometimes dissociating themselves when I 'print' - as opposed to typing away in Print Layout. Is there a way of keeping certain lines or text and graphical elements together on one page? Or perhaps there's another more 'in tune with MS Word' way of pointing from comments in my text to screen shots? Any help for a naive user will be much appreciated.
Answer
Answer
Text and graphics are on separate "layers". They don't easily stay together.  Rather than using a graphical arrow to point from text to graphic just use text references like "See figure 1", and include a caption "Figure 1: some flapdoodle or other" under the picture.

Personally, when I insert pictures I prefer to use the "In line with Text" option to keep it from "floating" around.  That way as you add more text the picture keeps the same relative position. You don't get the 'pretty" text wrapping around the picture, but I'm willing to "waste" a little space.

Right click on the picture, pick "Wrap Text", then "In Line with Text"

To keep the picture and its caption together you have a couple of options.

• A. insert the picture in a 1 row 1 column table, put the caption immediately below it in the same cell
  • use <SHF><ENTER> to put a "soft return" after the picture, then type the caption

In both cases you want to use the "Keep with next" and "Keep together" paragraph attributes. Select both the caption and picture, right click, select "Paragraph", select "Line and Page Breaks" tab, turn on both those options.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2024 Views 19,932 Applies to: