JAWS forms in a text based document - getting JAWS to read the forms and checkboxes

I am having difficulty getting JAWS to announce checkboxes and such.  They are not being announced, and in order to select them you would have to know they are there, use Shift and the arrow key to block it in and then press spacebar to either mark it or unmark it. 

Locating and using the Developer tab in 2010 is not a problem, but getting it to be announced is. 

A related question: If I protect my document, it is not reading the text between prompts.  The idea was to create a workbook with reference information between questions and by limiting the interaction with the text, people would know they can't 'screw up' my document.  However, JAWS jumps right to the first time I put a text entry prompt. 

Answer
Answer
I don't think you'll be able to make a protected form work properly with JAWS. It might work if you use content controls instead of legacy form fields -- I haven't tried that -- but doing so will make the document unusable by anyone with Word 2003 or earlier (and the check box content control doesn't work in Word 2007).

Last year, for another JAWS user, I created a form that displays a userform (a macro-driven custom dialog box) for collecting the user's input. The userform does work with JAWS. I can ask the owner whether I can share that template with you. Send an email to jay dot freedman at verizon dot net with your contact information, and I'll get back to you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 546 Applies to: