Issue while with preview pane and word

Hello everybody,

A few users in my company have been having the below issue:

when the preview pane is enabled double clicking on the word file (docx) does not open the document in word unless right clicking>open.

If I turn off preview pane all comes back to normal. This does not happen with all docx files but only a few (fairly complex ones), therefore looks like some setting within those files is not liking preview pane.

Tried the document inspect, re-save the document with no luck, if I save it using .doc extension it works fine.

Any suggestions?

configuration: windows 7 professional, Office standard 2010

thanks for you time

Salvo.

Hi Salvo,

I will assist you to open the Word document.

Since the issue is with complex documents only, the issue could be due to system resources. 

When the preview pane is enabled in windows explorer, winword.exe process will start, to preview the  document in preview pane.

At the same time, if you double click on the document, the word process might be overloaded.

Double click on the word document once the document is loaded in the preview pane and check if the document opens fine.

Saving the document as *.DOC will disable most of the new features which are available in *.DOCX format. 

Hope the information provided is helpful.
Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Aravinda,

Thank you for your reply.

As you said once I open explorer with the preview pane enabled, it loads up the word doc straight away no issues (at the same time winword.exe). after that moment (after the process starts) there is no way of opening the word document unless right clicking on it.

This happens on multiple PCs( all windows 7, office 2010), it looks to me like a office bug.

Regards

Salvo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 7, 2023 Views 395 Applies to: